First Mac Purchase

Soldato
Looking for some advice. I am looking to buy my first Mac Laptop after years of using Windows based machines.

I had pretty much convinced myself that I would get the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, but have got to thinking over the last couple of days that actually that is probably overkill for what I would use it for. For the most part I will just be browsing the net, doing some web dev, watching videos etc.

I currently have a £265 Apple gift voucher which means I am locked in to buying in store. I also have access to a student discount.

I have been looking at the Air's, but am limited to what the have in store. Ideally I would have gone for the following:

MacBook Air 13"
1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

However that isn't available in-store the closest I can get is:

MacBook Air 11"
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

or

MacBook Air 13"
1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

The difference is about £110 more for the 11", which isn't an issue. I just wanted to get a view from everyone here. So wanted to check:

1) The MBPr is overkill for me
2) I wouldn't notice the difference day to day between 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz (I read somewhere its essentially paying hundreds to save seconds, i.e. not a good investment)
3) I'm going to need that extra 4gb RAM aren't I?
4) Would you get the 11" or the 13"? Given my situation with the voucher.

Soldato
OP
If it makes any difference I am coming from a Dell M1530, specification:

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.50ghz
4Gb Ram
500gb HDD
1440x900 15.4" Screen

Soldato
I personally believe in getting the highest spec possible in my budget as I general keep my laptops three years before replacing. I would also prefer to sacrifice some portability for a larger screen. I upgraded my MBP to 8GB as I use a lot of VM - you might need it depending on the nature of your dev work. You need to decide what is important and pick appropriatly.

Soldato
Yeah, get the 13". The 11" is a nice machine for casual stuff, but I can see the small screen getting frustrating pretty quickly during web dev work.

The new Retina MBP would be an amazing web dev laptop - but as you say, given the price, you really have to be able to justify it to yourself.

Soldato
Honestly not to discredit the Macbook Air but after I saw this thread I searched for an unboxing vid and couldn't help but laugh at this.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think anyone but you can really make this decision. As some people prefer the 11" and the portability it provides, especially as a a secondary machine to a desktop. Others prefer the 13". That 4GB will be it's most limiting factor in the long run.

You have 14 days to change your mind and take it back though should whichever you choose not suit your needs.

Associate
I have the 13" macbook pro. I find the screen usable, its expandable and should be available in the store. The airs are very prtable but not expandable and this may limit you in the future if your needs change. Just a thought.....

Associate
The spec that you want (and can't get!) is obviously the best. I would be going with the 11" over the 13" purely because 4GB is going to be the rate limiting step in the future - it's the minimum amount of RAM you can really get away with when using OS X Lion.

The 11" MBA can still drive a huge external monitor, if you find yourself sitting at a desk wanting more screen. I'd be buying a thin laptop for it's portability.

Soldato
OP
I have the 13" macbook pro. I find the screen usable, its expandable and should be available in the store. The airs are very prtable but not expandable and this may limit you in the future if your needs change. Just a thought.....

I hadn't really considered the Macbook Pro 13". Might go in-store and have a play with it.

I've had an MBP 13 and a 15 in the past, and I can say the MBP 13 is an awesome and very capable machine. Even with the 320m graphics card, I still managed to get a fair bit of gaming done on it as well as some proper work.

Screen wise, sure the 15 is nicer but within a matter of minutes I'd forgotten about it for the 13. It's ample, but I definitely wouldn't go any lower.

I reckon the 13 MBP would suit you better than an Air given the above.

Soldato
Just a heads up you can go into an apple store and take proof that you're a student. letter from uni etc and you can get your education discount. I also think, note think, that you can go into a store and order your bespoke machine. You would just have to wait for them to deliver it

Soldato
OP
I ended up ordering online. When I spoke to people in-store they didn't seem to have a way of ordering a bespoke machine for me. I am just going to sell my gift card. I'll take a bit of a loss but will end up with the machine I want.

I also got a call today from Covent Garden store to say they had Retina MacBook Pro's in stock if I wanted one. Would have been very tempted if I hadn't already ordered the Air!

Back
Top Bottom