Why did you choose your current motor?

Hey all.

I am wondering why you have bought your current car.
We see a lot of threads of what car do you have, but now I am interested in why you purchased it :).
Can we keep the format as follows.

Manufacturer/Model/Year:
Engine:
Purchase/current miles:
Trim Level:
Justification for ownership:
Happy with the car?:

Here is mine:
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Pre-facelift Focus MK2 2007
Engine: 2.0 TDCI non-DPF + Bluefin
Purchase/current miles:77500/78500
Trim level: Ghia (afaik no extras)
Justification for ownership: Dad owned it from 6 months old and at 12500 miles. He cared for it and it is in amazing nick, bar the diamond cut wheels. He sold me it in April 2012 for £4000 which was the trade-in value. When my current car was a 11.5 year old 1.0 Micra I could not say no to this brilliant offer. Aside from a fuel tank (warranty) and a few sets of front discs it has been faultless. People cannot believe the mileage due to the condition it is in.
Happy with the car?: Yes. It is no hot hatch but is by no means gutless. I am loving the toys that the Micra was lacking - A/C, leccy windows, heated front windscreen etc.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Fiesta 2005
Engine: 2.0 (K&N 57i + Milltek exhaust)
Purchase/current miles:42k/48k
Trim Level: ST
Justification for ownership: My commute is only 9miles so fuel costs meant little to me and lifes too short to worry about saving ~£20 a month on fuel. Wanted a car that'd put a smile on my face when I drove it and some of the silly cornering speeds it can handle still make it grin like a child plus it has plenty of tuning potential if I want more power in future. My only real hate about the car is the ride, it's really crashy especially on Sheffield roads and can become quite a chore at times navigating potholes.
Happy with the car?: Yes. It's had a few issues in ownership but most of these were consumables apart from the exhaust shield dropping off but this was fixed for free due to the extended warranty.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Fiesta 2003
Engine: 1.4 Diesel
Purchase/current miles:23000/95000
Trim Level: Zetec (convenience package)
Justification for ownership: A cheap little run around, good mpg, especially when your doing 150+ miles a day.
Happy with the car?: Yes, been very reliable. Changing next month, as baby is on the way.

Caporegime
Manufacturer/Model/Year:
Toyota/Yaris/2008

Engine:
1.8L VVT-i

Purchase/current miles:
20k/31k

Trim Level: SR

Was in the market for a first car, criteria was something small, looked around and budget started at £5k but didn't find anything i liked so saved up a bit more and stretched to £6k. At which point I could've got a Z4 which I really like the look of. In the end my head ruled my heart, the Yaris is more economical, cheaper to run, newer car for the same money, cheaper to insured and FWD which I thought would be better as a first car than a 3.0L Z4 (which was what i wanted), plus the Yaris is more practical with more seats.

Happy with the car?:
Yup, its its been flawless in terms of mechanics, there are a few things that i like to have like 6th gear, leather, xenons and bluetooth but that's for the next car. I am happy to drive this for another year at least.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Mitsubishi GTO MR 94
Engine:3.0 V6 TT
Purchase/current miles: 96000 / 103000
Trim Level: MR
Justification for ownership: 300bhp+ for 3k, No brainer to me. and always wanted one from playing Gran Turismo. Got a Golf GT TDi as a daily driver so MPG means little to me.
Happy with the car?: Oh yes :D

Man of Honour
Manufacturer/Model/Year: 1989 VW Golf
Engine: 1.3 Petrol
Purchase/current miles: 105,000/122000
Trim Level:[
Justification for ownership: Wanted a mk2 for ages, was £800+ a year cheaper than anything else to insure for a new driver, cost me peanuts to buy to boot
Happy with the car?: Overall yes, its cost me nothing apart from a couple of small items and routine servicing, but after 2 years I'm hankering for something with a little more power.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year:Bmw 3 1996
Engine:2,8
Purchase/current miles:??
Trim Level:Sport Individual
Justification for ownership:Wanted an S15 Silvia but budget didn't allow. This is an FR layout coupe with an LSD and a bit of power in the engine, so a good alternative for little moneys. I'll have the Silvia eventually but this will do for now.
Happy with the car?:Yes, done a lot of work on it though, and still a lot more to do. The stuff I have done to make it more fun has had a drastic effect on the comfort though, and that's only likely to get worse. I give it the beans every day and still get 30mpg, very happy with that.

Associate
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Audi quattro Turbo 1985

Engine: 2.1 5pot Turbo

Purchase/current miles: 85,000 / 97,000

Trim Level: There were no trim level names just options like Leather, Electric Windows, Sunroof all of which mine has.

Justification for ownership: I remember seeing.... well more like Hearing one drive past my school as a kid, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever and that one day I would have one. I then totally forgot about it for years but then one day I though "Oh yea!" and went and bought one. So in short basically.... because I felt like it.

Happy with the car?: Most definitely :D

Permabanned
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Vauxhall Astra 09
Engine: 1.6
Purchase/current miles: 5k/12k
Trim Level: Life (no frills)
Justification for ownership: Old car died, needed something to get me to work and back for as many years as possible without spending a fortune.
Happy with the car?: Probably could have got something a year or two older, but yeah the car does what it says on the tin. Would have liked usb-pen port built in, might add that at a later date.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Fiesta 2007
Engine: 2.0L Duratec HE
Purchase/current miles: 18000/18500
Trim Level: ST
Justification for ownership: This is my second car - I've been driving just over a year - and I wanted something with a bit more power so I could have a bit of fun while continuing to learn to drive but without killing myself. My commute is only short so fuel efficiency is not important to me.
Happy with the car?: Very. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in it :)

Man of Honour
I have two:

Manufacturer/Model/Year: VW Golf V6 4Motion (2003)
Engine: 2.8l narrow angle V6, normally aspirated, 24 valves.
Purchase/current miles: 12k / 61k
Trim Level: 4Motion
Justification for ownership: Bought in 2004 it was meant to be a family car that would last me many years but also offer a little twist of excitement with the creamy smooth engine.
Happy with the car?: Yes, very. It has so far been incredilbly reliable and is not only a fantastic workhorse but is very quiet, fast, smooth and does everything I ask of it. It has exceeded my expectations.

Manufacturer/Model/Year: VW Corrado VR6 (1994)
Engine: 2.9l narrow angle V6, normally aspirated, 12 valves. Uprated cams and exhaust.
Purchase/current miles: 138k / 141k
Trim Level: VR6 with optional electric black cloth recaros (that's rare to anyone in the know, lol)
Justification for ownership: I test drove a run-out Storm model when new in 1995 but my girlfriend didn't like it and persuaded me to buy a Golf VR6 Highline instead. But a few years ago I saw a Corrado on the M25 and it reminded me just how much I had wanted one in the past. They are now very cheap and so it was a nice way of getting a fun car without spending much money. It also realised that with so few left on the roads it would probably be my last chance to get one in decent condition. It is not exactly a weekend car because I do use it fairly frequently. But it's not a daily driver either.
Happy with the car?: Yes, very, very happy. I can't believe just how much fun it is to drive. It is smaller and lighter than most modern cars and while the performance isn't stunning anymore it feels quick because of the seating position (6.4 sec 0-60 was good back in the early 90's but it's fairly mediocre now). The handling is phenominal for a front wheel drive car and mid range punch is enough to put a very large smile on my face. I never tire of the auto spoiler either :) And the frequent chufties are quite nice too with people often coming over to talk about the car. Yet it's worth very little indeed. And oh, it sounds woooonderful for an 18 year old car. In typical 90's style it is all "top end" and you have to really hold onto the gears to keep the revs up in the power band. But when you do it goes a bit mental. I really do now regret buying the mk3 Golf VR6 in 1995 instead of the Corrado. I love this car :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year:2008 Vauxhall Astra
Engine:1.6
Purchase/current miles: 4710 / 5412
Trim Level: club
Justification for ownership: Was looking for a new car and a deal came up that was just too good to turn down! :D
Happy with the car?: Absolutely :D :D Best £1500 i ever spent :)

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Mondeo 2001
Engine: 2.0 Petrol
Purchase/current miles: 109k / 125k
Trim Level: Zetec
Justification for ownership: Wanted more space to carrying stuff around (larger/easier boot to use than previous coupe).
Happy with the car?: It does the job but I am bored of it but can't change just yet. Annoyed with it too, clutch exploded a couple of days ago and it isn't the simplest of things to change.

Associate
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Nissan 200sx 1997
Engine:2.0 Turbo
running stage 1a (280bhp) so a few mods are
japspeed cat back with japspeed turbo elbow and japspeed downpipe
GReddy FMIC
Gizzmo boost controller
chipped

Purchase/current miles: 96000/98500
Trim Level: Touring
Justification for ownership: wanted a sports car with rear wheel drive for track fun and also to learn about the modification side of car mechanics.
Happy with the car?: very happy

Caporegime
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Renault Clio 05
Engine:2.0 Petrol
Purchase/current miles: ?
Trim Level:Sport
Justification for ownership: I do little to no miles, 300commuting a month at very best (well when I bought) I really don't need a car and just wanted something fun but cheap(ish) to run.
Happy with the car?: After the other weekend, over the moon. It's so much fun, slowly getting it ready to be a full time track toy over the next few years when no doubt I'll get something more comfy and keep her for track days.

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: VW Golf Bluemotion Tech Match ('12 Plate)
Engine: 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
Purchase/current miles: 7 (delivery mileage) / 3,950
Trim Level: Bluemotion Tech Match
Justification for ownership: Cheap tax under Company Car Scheme
Happy with the car?: Yes, Match spec has most of the toys and I took out some of the better upgrade options like the Dynaudio sound system. Whilst the 1.6 Tdi isn't the most "fun" engine in the world it has enough pull for traffic lights/overtaking etc and the driving position is very comfy for long haul when I have to head down to England on business

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Vauxhall Vectra 2001
Engine: 2.0 DTi
Purchase/current miles: 135k/139k
Trim Level: Pants
Justification for ownership: Previous car going rotten, this was £200
Happy with the car?: No, but as above, it was cheap

:)

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Honda S2000, 2006
Engine: 2 Litre Straight(Slant) 4cyl (Stock F20c)
Purchase/current miles: 2000 Miles / 20,600 Miles
Trim Level: Stock Roadster, not specced with VSA
Justification for ownership: Young, single with no need for more than 2 seats. Bought on impulse the same day I test drove it, no justification needed!
Happy with the car?: Very

Soldato
Manufacturer/Model/Year:
Mazda MX5 1997
Engine:
1.8i
Purchase/current miles:
126900/140500
Trim Level:
What's this?
My old car blew up, I wanted a new car and found this one!
Happy with the car?:
Yes! Fun car to throw around and for the past 1000 miles seems it has been pulling quicker than ever before! :eek::D
However my wallet isn't so happy :p

Permabanned
Manufacturer/Model/Year: Ford Mondeo ST220 2005 mid-facelift
Engine: 3.0l 24v V6
Purchase/current miles: 41,000, 44,250
Trim Level: ST220 with all the toys. Touch screen nav, parking sensors, bi-xenons.
Justification for ownership: Had a Ghia X 2.5 V6 before but was always jealous of the ST220 whenever I saw one. Found a good one and one test drive was all it took. Much quicker in a straight line, sharper handling and great to look at. I don't do any commute mileage and I couldn't really justify the inflated cost of maintenance on an older M3 or newer 330i for such low mileage per annum. Didn't want an Impreza or Evo as I dislike the image and hot hatches such as the Focus ST and CTR etc whilst maybe being a sharper drive are much too common. Currently have a headers-back exhaust from BCS which sounds immense, and Eibach springs purely for aesthetics.
Happy with the car?: Very. It's not the fastest thing I could own (though a shade over 6.5 to 60 and 160 top end isn't exactly slow) but it's fast and sharp enough round corners for me, puts a smile on my face and my 5-year old loves the crackles and pops the exhaust makes on the overrun. Hope to keep it a fair few years longer and pass it on to an enthusiast when it becomes a proper classic fast Ford.

Back
Top Bottom