Pate's desire to improve posture, get bigger and fitter!

Man of Honour
Ah, scapula wall slides. No reason why you can't do both! Unless she saw something in you SLDL that was a little worrying... video?

Permabanned
OP
I didn't even get round to doing a SLDL, she had me "show her" without the bar at first. Like squatting I find it hard without some weight to stablise me. Apparently my shoulders not in the right position etc.

Either way, meh.

I'm tempted to ditch the routine given and do just the stronglifts 5x5 as I think it will be easier to keep track of progress.

That and your regime should be enough?

I bow to your advice though. :p

Man of Honour
Stick with it for 3 weeks, then we'll move on to other stuff.

I don't want to bash the PT too much, but it doesn't seem like she was being very sensible. Scap wall slides are great, but the requirement to do them doesn't also mean you can't SLDL, if that makes sense. Just squeeze your shoulder blades back and down. If you were trying some overhead exercises and experiencing impingement then it might make more sense...

Permabanned
OP
Sounds good to me, I'm off to the gym in a bit and will do some wall scapula exercises before the SLDL.

Could you please recommend me something else instead of the Straight leg sit up, as I'm not quite sure what to do with that alternative video you posted. :o

Permabanned
OP
Back from the gym.

Bit of a mish mash to be honest. Was exceptionally busy, and I wasn't in the mood for faffing about, especially as two dick heads in particular were not removing their weights from the olympic bars and there were like 40kg on each side!

Anyway, did the following:

Goblet Squat (3 sets of 20kg, and a cheeky set of 24kg. Finding the weights quite easy to be honest, so looking forward to having a good enough posture to ramp it up a bit).

High Row: (3 sets of 32.5kg, 2 sets of 35kg. Need to make sure that I keep my posture straight on this one, and not just focus on pulling the weight down).

Shoulder Press on Stability ball: (3 sets of 12kg)

Sit up with bent knees (was going to do pall-off presses but some ***** were hogging the machines the ENTIRE time I was there) x 15 (two sets).

------------------------

Instead of the SLDL (thanks to the jokers with the olympic bars), I did Goblet squats again (they're addictive :D). 3 sets of 20kg

Chest press with stability ball (3 sets of 12kg).

Inverted rows (3 sets of 8)

Plank (hard to measure, but by God they're tough, can barely hold it like 20 secs!)

------------------------------------------

After that I wondered to the rowing machines where I knocked out 2,000 metres at alternating speeds. Absolutely destroyed me.

So Great stuff overall, already finding the workout very doable without major issue.

The downside? When I went to measure myself on the scale (the one where you slide the weight etc), I now weigh only 77kg. Very depressing.

Permabanned
OP
Out of curiosity, is there any way that this work could have brought about snoring?

Apparently I've started snoring REALLY badly recently, which is disturbing everyone around me a hell of a lot. Didn't really connect it with this til now.

Or is this definitely not related in any way?

Permabanned
OP
Out of curiosity, if you're not getting DOMS, I take it that means the weights have to change? I've moved up to 30kg dumbells for the goblet squats, but can't tease out any doms. ¬_¬

Also, I'm abroad now, so apart from running, I've only got my two resistance bands. :)

Associate
Out of curiosity, if you're not getting DOMS, I take it that means the weights have to change? I've moved up to 30kg dumbells for the goblet squats, but can't tease out any doms. ¬_¬

Also, I'm abroad now, so apart from running, I've only got my two resistance bands. :)

Not particularly, it's normal for DOMs to decrease after you're used to doing the exercise even if you're upping the weight.

Man of Honour
Just make sure that you keep going deep enough, and then follow a sensible (gentle) weights progression.

Almost time to switch up your programme I think Pate :)

Permabanned
OP
Just make sure that you keep going deep enough, and then follow a sensible (gentle) weights progression.

Almost time to switch up your programme I think Pate :)

Haha, need to keep to the sensible bit. :D

Last night for a joke, I lifted my brother up firemans lift style to see if I could squat the sod. :D

Cracked out 8 reps no sweat, which I was pretty chuffed with as he weighs way over 60kg.

And no, I won't be stupid enough to try that again, I was just curious. :D

Permabanned
OP
Still doing my exercises, though I seem to have gotten all the goodness out of it so to speak.

Also my right shoulders mobility has gone to ****, it's not easy to rotate at the moment. :/ Would you say it's worth giving it a few days rest or work through it?

Permabanned
OP
Finding progress very very slow. Alas now im out of term time I've got not gym. I think I need to up my calories to be honest. ¬_¬

Permabanned
Why would be be getting a Doms when your trying to loose weight? Its like 2000 Calories per pizza?!

Back
Top Bottom