World ends 2012

Caporegime
I'm rinsing the credit card already in preperation for the end of the world.

I will now be watching it on a brand new super hi def 4k resolution 120inch tv! hellz yes!

Man of Honour
Surely just measuring the gravitation pull of the Earth debunks that one?

Only if you're thinking rationally and considering the evidence. If you're a believer, belief trumps everything else so you either ignore evidence or concoct a way to explain it away, preferably with an untestable hypothesis. If it's untestable, then it can't be proven wrong.

So...gravity generators a couple of hundred miles below the surface would account for the extra gravity that fools the unenlightened into thinking that the Earth is solid. Besides, the sun at the centre of the Earth would have a lot of mass and therefore add a lot to the overall gravitational pull of the Earth.

Man of Honour
Only if you're thinking rationally and considering the evidence. If you're a believer, belief trumps everything else so you either ignore evidence or concoct a way to explain it away, preferably with an untestable hypothesis. If it's untestable, then it can't be proven wrong.

So...gravity generators a couple of hundred miles below the surface would account for the extra gravity that fools the unenlightened into thinking that the Earth is solid. Besides, the sun at the centre of the Earth would have a lot of mass and therefore add a lot to the overall gravitational pull of the Earth.

It all depends on how hollow the Earth your belief is.
Is it possible the Earth is hollow? - no
Is it possible there could be massive 'hollows' with people living there? - yes

I did a Giorgio.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OC should give us some free components, their warehouse will implode next week anyway, what's the point in hoarding all that stuff.

Soldato
I think a lot of people will be a bit disappointed if nothing happens but obviously no one wants something bad, i would like to see something interesting that shakes up society, like perhaps aliens or some advanced ai and technological singularity, as with most predictions a lot of it is rubbish but to me there's only ever been two big dates, 2000 and 2012, if nothing happens there's still the possibility of something big happening in our lifetime with the way the world is going, bad usually being more likely than good it seems, the world is pretty mundane most of the time though.

There's the timewave zero idea that's quite interesting but i don't see any signs of events speeding up...

Last edited:
Soldato
....the world is pretty mundane most of the time though.......

Yes, a ball of rock that sits just the right distance from it's star that has the right balance of size, water, carbon & oxygen that gave the tiniest of chances that life could develop get a foot hold and then flourish leading to lifeform to develop sentience and an ability to start peering out into the Universe and ask 'What is it?'. Such a Mundane thing!

Man of Honour
Yes, a ball of rock that sits just the right distance from it's star that has the right balance of size, water, carbon & oxygen that gave the tiniest of chances that life could develop get a foot hold and then flourish leading to lifeform to develop sentience and an ability to start peering out into the Universe and ask 'What is it?'. Such a Mundane thing!

But what did the Romans ever do for us?

Soldato

Well it is, by world i obviously mean the human world or society we have created, people give up a portion of thier day to do repetitive and often meaningless tasks, daily life for the majority is pretty mundane by most standards but even if you take into account how incredible things may be to even exist in all thier complexity, once you stop thinking about that you're back to the reality of a rather mundane daily experience are you not?

Last edited:
Soldato

Simple mathematics and statistical probability.

When 6 sextillion planets exist in the Universe, it would far more surprising if none of them were able to sustain life. An inifnite number of monkeys and all that.

I'll ignore the fact evolution plays a part too. You don't need 'perfect conditions' that match the requirements of today's living things. You just need a condition capable of life and then life evolves to live in that world.

Finally you are making the mistake of assuming we are an 'intelligent' lifeform, that only applies in comparison to other living things on Earth. Universally we could be a thick pig **** and way behind lifeforms on other planets.

Back
Top Bottom