• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my GPU damaged? If so, is there anything I can do?

Associate
So very recently I have started noticing very weird things happening to my laptop. First of all, since a few months ago, my FPS in games has dropped significantly. My laptop is a gaming one, so this came as a surprise to me. It suddenly had started struggling with games it could run fine previously.

Laptop Specs:

Core i7 Mobile 2670QM @ 2.20Ghz Turbo Boosted up to 3.0Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 540M 2GB
8GB RAM
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

I used a temperature gauge, and found out that my GPU gets to about 100 degrees when playing games like Minecraft, and it's at this point when I suffer a major FPS drop. This is the same for other games as well.

How do I fix this? How can I keep my GPU cool if it's a laptop GPU?

Last edited:
Associate
Sound like heat. You will be seeing a fps drop as the components throttle back to stop themselves being damaged by a build up of heat.
This is one of the big problems with gaming laptops.
Get yourself some compressed air and clean the laptop vents our with it, be careful not to spray for too long at a time as this will cause condensation to form int he water from the can and this can damage components

Back
Top Bottom