VPN Software Recommendations

Associate
Right, after a long time coming, I finally forked out the cash and purchased myself a VPN service. It's been something that's been playing on my mind for quite some time now so I thought I'd fork out the cash and just pay for one and get it over with.

Now, my next question is a little more important, but I'm not sure if it really makes much difference. Anyway, I was wondering what VPN client people use or could recommend? I'm looking for one that is both reliable and has good security.

Another option which I'm still considering is using my spare Netgear router that's currently running DD-WRT and have that used as a VPN router. At least that way, all the devices connected to the home network can bounce straight out from the router without having to be too concerned about running applications instead.

Anyway, I'd just like to hear some input from anyone that knows a little about this stuff.

Thanks for all the help over the weekend people. You've all been a great help!

Associate
VPN software is much of a muchness, there's tonnes out there. the security aspect will primarily depend on the VPN settings you use. Decent ecryption and a nice long complex key is most important.

For simplicity if you can create a point to point tunnel between two routers this is probably best for securing a number of client devices at once.

Usually if you've used a service or particular VPN hardware they'll have their own or recommended clients that are known to work well with their solution. But provided the client supports the encryption types and VPN options you're using it'll work regardless of who makes it.

Personally I've used Shrewsoft a lot because it's free and supports most of the common Encryption types. But there are plenty of others.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up. I thought a point to point tunnel seemed a wise option. At least that way, I won't have to be too concerned with the girlfriend and her laptop. She's not the brightest spark when it comes to IT, and I'd hate to try explain running a VPN client. Saying that though, if it's the best solution, I'll just need to get on with it.

The service I'm using is SlickVPN http://www.slickvpn.com/EU/

The company recommends using the SlickVPN client but I'm not sure if it's the most suitable out there?

Associate
OP
Glad to hear we're on the same wave lengths. Out of curiosity, have you got any useful links for setting up a VPN using DD-WRT? What I'm not quite sure about is whether all I need to point all devices to a new IP once DD-WRT is up and running alongside a VPN.

Associate
OP
I know it's been a good while since you replied with those links but I just wanted to say thanks for the help. It took me a while but after some hard work, I finally bridged my second router using DD-WRT and now have all my traffic bouncing out from my VPN which I must admit, I'm pretty pleased about.

Thanks for the help KIA!

Soldato
I have been pondering using a VPN and now I am ready. Looking at a review list of VPN Providers, I find there are hundreds of providers so imagine the confusion.

Just interested to know how slickvpn is getting on with you guys? Any speed issues and also does the provider keep logs?

Back
Top Bottom