Used brake pads - Would you?

Soldato
I know this is probably a really ***** consideration and can predict the answers already but here it goes...

I'm upgrading the front brakes on my Fiesta ST to a 300mm Mondeo/ST170 setup and my used calipers came today with the intention of getting pads tomorrow, I didn't realise but they came with a set of Ferodo brake pads still in them and upon taking them out to clean up the calipers, found they look very much brand new! They have hardly worn at all but have some marks on the pad face where they've been used, would you chance the pads and save £40 or go for some brand new ones for peace of mind? Just how bad can it be?

Soldato
I would go for it to be honest if they look like new. Give them a wee rub down with emery roll then a good blast to bed them in. There shouldn't be any difference from brand new pads except an extra £40 in your' wallet. Really up to yourself though mate.

Caporegime
I guess the biggest worry is where the calipers have been lying around. Have the pads become contaminated in any way, and if they have, what if it were with a substance that can eat through the bonding between braking material and metal back-plate?

Last thing you'd want is the braking material coming away from the carrier.

Soldato
OP
If they are from the same set up i would, but normally id say nope.

What do you mean by same setup, as in someone using them on the same discs/car? If so then all I know is that the previous owner bought them intending to install as a brake upgrade on an old TVR but they wouldn't fit under his wheels so had to sell them on...

Soldato
Since they are branded parts, and virtually new I'd probably use them if visibly fine unless I actually wanted some high performance pads. Give the friction surface a rub down with emery as mentioned to remove any potential glazing etc.

Soldato
i'd use them.

When in use they get shotblasted in salt, snot, water and all sorts of unpleasant stuff off the road. They are extremely unlikely to have been bathed in a solvent strong enough to hurt the glue honding the friction to the backing plate.

Soldato
If they look hardly used then it shouldn't be much of an issue. As long as they have as others have already alluded to - no contamination present. But then your going to be hard pushed to spot that purely by looking at them at least initially, in most cases.

Soldato
No way I'd risk it. The fact you had to think to do the thread should answer your question.

Just remember, brakes are how you stop the car. Is it really worth the risk for £40 ?

Back
Top Bottom