Chrome issues - best alternative?

Soldato
I like Chrome. When it's working well, it's my favourite browser. Unfortunately, that's not often. I can't even watch two video streams at once without the video being slow compared to the audio, and the whole browser becomes sloppy. Does anyone else have similar issues?

What browsers are people using these days? Tempted to go back to IE..

Soldato
Once you get past the "omg lol ie is the sux" thing IE10 is actually a pretty decent all round browser. Don't forget to add AdBlock through the safety>tracking protection menu.

Soldato
Firefox (or Waterfox) is the only viable option imo.

IE doesn't have the full adblock experience that you get from Chrome or Adblock.
It seems to work just fine for me with the Adblock tracking protection option (Tools>Safety>TrackingProtection>Get a Tracking list online>Fanboys Adblock.), can't say I notice a difference between it on FF 19 and IE10 unless I'm missing something. Granted as far as I know IE10 can't do noscript add ons etc.

Don
It seems to work just fine for me with the Adblock tracking protection option (Tools>Safety>TrackingProtection>Get a Tracking list online>Fanboys Adblock.), can't say I notice a difference between it on FF 19 and IE10 unless I'm missing something. Granted as far as I know IE10 can't do noscript add ons etc.

It stops most of the ads, but it doesn't always remove the elements, so you just get big empty spaces.

I use the protection list method on my Surface RT, and some websites just look big and empty on it.

Soldato
Perhaps that's a scary inditment of just how much advertising there is on the web these days :( I wouldn't mind, but generally i don't think it's the websites getting rich from it (i'm looking at you Google) although i do make a point of whitelisting sites I use on a regular basis and doing the odd click through, seems only fair to help sites I use get a little funding.

Associate
As a former (hobbyist) web designer, I wouldn't ever recommend IE unless they've decided to finally render pages the way they're supposed to.

I used to primarily use Firefox, before switching to Chrome (still use FF for certain things when I'm not able to get all the extensions I need for Chrome) and have now moved on to Chromium (Chrome before Google put their branding and other crap) which is said to have less features, but I haven't noticed, evidently I don't use them anyway. You might have duplicate issues with it, but it's worth a try if Chrome is what you like.

Last edited:
Don
Perhaps that's a scary inditment of just how much advertising there is on the web these days :( I wouldn't mind, but generally i don't think it's the websites getting rich from it (i'm looking at you Google) although i do make a point of whitelisting sites I use on a regular basis and doing the odd click through, seems only fair to help sites I use get a little funding.

Meh,

I email site makers that have the 'please disable adblock' messages and tell them to put 'donate' icons on their sites. I'd happily donate a quid here or there to a website instead of seeing ads on it.

Associate
Of the popular browsers Chrome, Firefox and Opera all push the new standards (in some cases create them) and large open-source projects e.g. WebRTC in equal measure therefore they are the logical options.

That said - and I personally have never gotten over my hated of IE since being forced to use version 6 :) - IE 10 is actually a very good browser these days (surprisingly fast too) and is definitely worth consideration.

Soldato
I've used Opera for the past 10 years, but not anymore; it's gone slowly downhill to the point where it doesn't work very well with enough sites to warrant keeping it. Shame as it used to leave every other browser for dead.

I've now gone back to IE... which I never thought I'd do. The latest version is absolutely awesome. Firefox doesn't even come close to it, and Chrome is just behind it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom