Good choice of a car?

Associate
OP
Why can't you just buy a 1.2 or 1.4 single Turbo petrol? Either will suit you perfectly and be far less likely to give you grief

Its well.worth considering the 1.0t fiesta too BTW (I know you're not keen) - the facelifted car is excellent and the engine sounds like a very promising little unit.

Yeah I read about the new engine on the fiesta's, but I don't know, having the KA and spotting SO MANY things wrong, I lost all faith in Ford.

So would you say 11,990 is good value for money for the 1.2TSI ?

It is essentially this : http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/fabiahatchmontecarlo/fabia-monte-carlo-tech

Same price, same spec.

I'll just add a few stuff which will add another grand or so.

Soldato
Yeah I read about the new engine on the fiesta's, but I don't know, having the KA and spotting SO MANY things wrong, I lost all faith in Ford.

So would you say 11,990 is good value for money for the 1.2TSI ?

It is essentially this : http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/fabiahatchmontecarlo/fabia-monte-carlo-tech

Same price, same spec.

I'll just add a few stuff which will add another grand or so.

I think I'd end myself if I had to spend £12k to get a Fabia.....

However, from looking at approved used cars, a 1.2tsi with a lower spec and 1 to 2 years old is barely any different price wise so on the face of it it looks not too bad.

What would you realistically want to add to a Fabia that it doesn't already have?

Associate
OP
I think I'd end myself if I had to spend £12k to get a Fabia.....

However, from looking at approved used cars, a 1.2tsi with a lower spec and 1 to 2 years old is barely any different price wise so on the face of it it looks not too bad.

What would you realistically want to add to a Fabia that it doesn't already have?

Well, cruise control as my family in the UK is 5 hours and my friends 4 hours away and it is helpful and ESP and all that electronic stability staff.

As far as italian cars are concerned, just no. Bad stories regarding rust when I was younger, bad stories regarding rust and electronics now.

Associate
OP
Oh man, the interior looks like it came out of a van. Do not like. :(

What counts is that it is robust and reliable. I know, If I had the money I would get something much better, but right now, I have 4 months to decide on a car that is going to last, take me from A to B and be comfortable and not massively slow.

Soldato
What counts is that it is robust and reliable. I know, If I had the money I would get something much better, but right now, I have 4 months to decide on a car that is going to last, take me from A to B and be comfortable and not massively slow.

Why on earth would you drop £12k on a car if your only criteria are robust and reliable?

Get something like this instead, it'll probably never die and be about as nice inside as whatever you're planning on spending nearly four times as much on.

Even better, spend less than half that on something like this, there's plenty of robust, reliable cars around without spending one-and-a-half times the average family's annual disposable income on one* - pure madness! :p

*source

Soldato
The likes of that corolla is exactly what you should buy with the criteria op. However if you want a new or very new car then so be it.

Adding cruise to the fabia can't cost a grand surely? It'll have ample safety features as standard.

Blackhawk - you know fine well you drive the same car in a different frock - the interior is not vastly different either

Soldato
The Ka really isn't a fair yardstick with which to measure Ford by. It's an awful little car with an engine that predates the Roman Empire and feels like it too.

Associate
OP
Why on earth would you drop £12k on a car if your only criteria are robust and reliable?

Get something like this instead, it'll probably never die and be about as nice inside as whatever you're planning on spending nearly four times as much on.

Even better, spend less than half that on something like this, there's plenty of robust, reliable cars around without spending one-and-a-half times the average family's annual disposable income on one* - pure madness! :p

*source

My car back home for the past 6 years was a Toyota Corolla Sprinter Trueno AE111 (up untill my brother totalled it :p ) and I have to admit, for a 15year old car with over 200,000 miles on the clock, it was running smoothly.

I get what you are saying, my logical/sensible self says that to me as well, but my father and my other half mind says to splash out on something nicer.

The likes of that corolla is exactly what you should buy with the criteria op. However if you want a new or very new car then so be it.

Adding cruise to the fabia can't cost a grand surely? It'll have ample safety features as standard.

Blackhawk - you know fine well you drive the same car in a different frock - the interior is not vastly different either

Off the top of my head the value of the cruise control was £160 and the ESP £360.

I'll try and go to Honda down to Cardiff tomorrow after work, I gave it some thought today, and I ended up deciding on spending around £6-8,000 and getting something like the Honda Civic or an older VW/Skoda.

Associate
OP
The Ka really isn't a fair yardstick with which to measure Ford by. It's an awful little car with an engine that predates the Roman Empire and feels like it too.

Fair enough, the positive of the KA is that the engine is robust, I changed the filter and sparkplugs myself in 5 minutes no hassle, even though I'd never done a "service" before.

I used to like the Fiesta (old shape not the newer one) up until my colleague from work ;which we go to work together using our cars one week each, bought one. The engine is alright, infact I persuaded a friend who moved to the UK and bought one with the 1.25l engine, but the interior feels pretty cheap. It looks like a good car, but by the time you go to nicer trims the price goes up so much that it is not worth it.

I guess after having 4 used cars, and now having a good job is making me want nicer stuff.

Thanks for the comments, maybe that is what I need, someone to push me back to reason again!

Soldato
Why are you so desperate for ESP though? It'll have something inbuilt anyway even if it's not the full blown system.

P's that's still only 500 quid

Associate
OP
Why are you so desperate for ESP though? It'll have something inbuilt anyway even if it's not the full blown system.

P's that's still only 500 quid

I don't know, all the cars I owned never had ESP and stuff, but I figured in the UK with all the snow/rain it would be useful to have just in case.

I can see it is 500, but I decided not to go new after all anyway, I was just arguing to myself why I should not go with it, before replying here, so used a bigger figure in my head.

Anyhow, if the problem was the 500 quid I would not hesitate :p

Back
Top Bottom