Staying awake while driving.

Associate
When you finish work, have a strong coffee/energy drink and then powernap for 20 mins. When you wake up the caffeine has had time to kick in and it usually lasts 2-3 hours so that's your journey sorted.

One

One

Soldato
I don't really see what the problem is unless the shift also happens to be during unsociable hours. 5am wake up, 6 am leave, start work at 8am, finish at 8pm, home by 10pm. If it's every day then I suggest either getting a new job, or moving closer to work, but a one off shouldn't be a problem at all. If you get a decent amount of sleep the night before I don't see why you would even be tired on the drive home.

I'm driving for 6 hours solid tomorrow, I might have a different opinion after that. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't really see what the problem is unless the shift also happens to be during unsociable hours. 5am wake up, 6 am leave, start work at 8am, finish at 8pm, home by 10pm. If it's every day then I suggest either getting a new job, or moving closer to work, but a one off shouldn't be a problem at all. If you get a decent amount of sleep the night before I don't see why you would even be tired on the drive home.

It's 4PM till 4AM.

EDIT: I'm working for DeeSet, refitting stores, so I work where ever and whenever I have to really. Normally accommodation is paid for however with it being a one night job it isn't.

Last edited:
Associate
It's 4PM till 4AM.

EDIT: I'm working for DeeSet, refitting stores, so I work where ever and whenever I have to really. Normally accommodation is paid for however with it being a one night job it isn't.

Can you avoid motorways? It's so easy to drift off on them especially if you just sit in the middle lane.

Permabanned
As somebody known to do a fair few motorway miles both earlier than 5am and later than 9pm, those enormous, phallic cans of Red Bull are, quite literally, lifesavers.

Soldato
I did a 24 hour shift once, only a 20 minute drive home, nearly crashed at a pelican crossing, got woke up by the passenger asking if I was going to stop, slammed on brakes and ended up on the right side of the road parked next to the car that was in front of me, lucky escape all round.

I don't drive after 24 hours awake now

Permabanned
ADVICE

getting really sick of seeing the same typo in here :/
oh and brake/break for Motors people :p

Anyway... :o

Drink lots of water, I don't know why this works but it does.
I regularly start to nod off on the motorway and very little else helps.

It's better to have a nap before you set off, otherwise if you stop halfway you'll constantly feel like you've just nodded off whilst driving and jerk yourself awake.

Back
Top Bottom