Poor Wife Driving A Ferrari At Prodrive, Kenilworth

Soldato
That old guy in the video is a complete tool. By all means keep the driver in check during the sighting lap, but breaking just after halfway down the straight and shouting at him like a child was a joke!

Don't bother with these days if you are a competent driver, save your pennies and invest in a half or full day at Palmersport near Bedford. It's brilliant and even better with a group of OcUKers for some banter and competition :D

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18304869&highlight=palmersport

Don
You can understand why they're so overbearing... I'd rather either take a £500 car round a track at my own pace or do one of those £600 all in racing days that a few people on here have done before, moving up through different cars throughout the day.

Soldato
Blimey, glad I haven't done one of those... would be far too annoying!

I remember the old man telling me that he was receiving some track instruction many years ago in his T16... the 'instructor' stuck in the armco despite being told by the owner to slow down as they weren't confident the instructor knew what they were doing.

Soldato
I did a V8 experience at Rockingham and we were chatting about my motorbike as I was full throttle out of corners, he actually told me to brake later and, in his words, 'Push it as hard as you can' so I did, thought I'd go through the windscreen :D

Soldato
Glad she had fun and to many these days are great, But if you are a bit of a petrol head like most in motors they just won't do really.

Palmer Motorsport days are the best I've seen and experienced, pricey yeah but by god they are worth it. If you ever get the chance just do it.

http://www.palmersport.com

Few on here went last year I think also.

Soldato
A couple of my friends are instructors on days like this. They both have racing experience, one has a current race license and they really do want people to go as quickly as possible but you've got to bear in mind 3 things:

1) They're freelance and are paid next to nothing
2) If they have a crash with a 'guest' in the car, they won't be asked to instruct there again
3) People are trying to kill them every day of their working life

If you want to drive flat out, the best thing to do is to take your own car on a track day.

Palmersport seem to manage it just fine and push the customer as far as they feel comfortable to drive as quick as they can. It's a shame that these "experience days" seem to make every effort to kill the actual experience.

Random example on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFalYvADun8

Soldato
Palmersport have the advantage of largely only catering to motoring enthusiasts by virtue of being so expensive comparatively.

Everyone can afford to get a family member a £150 'experience' day for a significant birthday or something, rare that anyone but the most keen will be paying near £800 I think it is for a full Palmersport day, so you immediately exclude a vast swathe of complete muppets before you even start.

Caporegime
are there any humours videos of people just ignoring the instructor and going flat out or arguing with them? then again I guess they wouldn't let you have the video lol :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Palmersport have the advantage of largely only catering to motoring enthusiasts by virtue of being so expensive comparatively.

Everyone can afford to get a family member a £150 'experience' day for a significant birthday or something, rare that anyone but the most keen will be paying near £800 I think it is for a full Palmersport day, so you immediately exclude a vast swathe of complete muppets before you even start.

Not to mention purpose build tracks, their own fleet of cars looked after in house and nothing with the retail value of a McLaren or Ferrari. These experience days are perfectly fine for non motoring enthusiasts imo, Just glad there are days like Palmer out there for us who really do want to push a car to it's limits :)

Soldato
I recently went on one of those airfield experience days, did 8 laps in a Ferrari and a Lambo and they actually encouraged you to to open the car up with no squeals of brake or change gear. For me I took things easy with the first car which was the Ferrari until I got to know the layout of the marked track and then gunned it as much as I dared in the Lambo.

Caporegime
Mercedes Benz world are pretty good as they really let you go for it. Even on the tiny track and in a C63 AMG.

Best one for me was the BMW driving experience. The instructors are in the lead car :D

Permabanned
These ones on airfields look really dull, I had a look at a related video which was a guy in a McClaren MP4. He kept getting shouted at and told to brake!

Everyman days are crap. Did one a few years back in Leicester, took out a Focus RS, Ferrari 360 and Porsche GT3 RS. Every time I drove it like I was racing it the instructor started barking at me. :/

The Ferrari felt unbelievably ropey too.

Permabanned
Missus did the Ferrari experience at Silverstone, she came away very disappointed as she said it quite clear the car was restricted.

She said she would have rather had a blast around the track in the Mini in the end.

That's odd I did that one and the instructor had me push the car as much as I could. and then praised me on making the brakes smell when we got out of the car 3 laps later :D

Airfield one I did pretty much echoes everyone else's experiences by the sounds of things. in fact the instructor was braking for me at one point (dual controls :rolleyes:) so that I didn't catch up to the car in front. That was 6th gear experience and I won't bother wasting my money on them again.

Back
Top Bottom