• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

290X has nothing vs OC 780 GTX?

Soldato
To be fair Gibbo is selling these cards and has a wealth of cooling/overclocking resources at his disposal both people and kit.

I suspect in consumer setups we may see the 290 throttle, not that it's a bad card, just needed a better stock cooling solution.

He's said it's just the reference card and cooler, these results aren't from custom cooling. All you can do then is increase the voltage and clocks, nothing different from any of us.

Permabanned
He's said it's just the reference card and cooler, these results aren't from custom cooling. All you can do then is increase the voltage and clocks, nothing different from any of us.

Apart from the cards were on an open air test bench, I think everyone going on about the temperature are just looking for some form of attacking the card, it performs superbly and at an excellent price, for those with 780's, TITANS and some dual GPU setups then of course it's not worth it, anything else though and I couldn't think of a better card to upgrade to at the moment.

OcUK Staff
Are there any prices yet for the 290 or are they still under nda

They will be cheaper.

In response to this thread, if I was playing at 1080P its a tough call between an overclocked GTX 780 and a stock R9 290X.

If I was playing at 1440P or higher then I'd only be considering R290 or R290X it has a big advantage with its 512-bit bus and the memory will happily sit at 6200MHz all day long on the stock cooler, without adding much more heat, that gives 400GB/s bandwidth.

Same for 4k or eyefinity, the R290 have a big edge and at the lower price points makes it an easier decision.

One thing for sure is Titan is now a no go, I could not recommend anyone buys it when for the price of one you could buy two R290's and nearly two R290X's.

If AMD add the Gold Games bundle to these cards will make them even better value too.

End of the day, you buy a GTX 780 or an R290X they are both amazing cards and you would not be dissapointed with either choice.

Associate

What does he know? he is the most boring reviewer on the net a very rarely fall asleep at my desk, but 2 minutes with him does the trick

To be fair Gibbo is selling these cards and has a wealth of cooling/overclocking resources at his disposal both people and kit.

I suspect in consumer setups we may see the 290X throttle, not that it's a bad card, just needed a better stock cooling solution.

you cant beat user reviews imo, even better from someone that has nothing to gain either way, as always horses for coarses, it will suit some and not other's, but both cards from both teams are good, id not say no to either ;) but i had to spend £500 right now id get the Zotac Amp edition, as it beat both all three straigh outta the box ;)

Soldato
I am running one at 1200MHz core and 6600MHz on stock cooler, it wipes the floor now with a GTX 780 running at 1310Mhz core and 6800MHz on a custom design card with uprated cooler.

Its a great card, as drivers mature it will get faster and custom designs / coolers will make it faster still.

Even more impressive is the yet to be released baby R290, it overclocks to a point where it also beats a 1300MHz GTX 780 quite easily, that is even cheaper.

Like I said in the other thread if it's the HOF you are testing with then there is a known issue where at certain clocks it has power target issues which causes it to downclock (I have one I should know, it's the reason I had to flash to skyn3ts bios).

For reference here is my HOF at 1306/6800 on Valley and Heaven 4 with the latest 331.58 drivers.

As you can see they outperform the 290x scores @ 1200/6600 you posted earlier in the Overclocking thread, so there are issues with the HOF results if it is performing worse than the 290x scores you posted.

OcUK Staff
Like I said in the other thread if it's the HOF you are testing with then there is a known issue where at certain clocks it has power target issues which causes it to downclock (I have one I should know, it's the reason I had to flash to skyn3ts bios).

For reference here is my HOF at 1306/6800 on Valley and Heaven 4 with the latest 331.58 drivers.

As you can see they outperform the 290x scores @ 1200/6600 you posted earlier in the Overclocking thread, so there are issues with the HOF results if it is performing worse than the 290x scores you posted.

In fairness the heaven 4.0 is separated by 2fps and valley similar. Both of these benches also favour NVIDIA, 780 HOF was never tested in them as it was part of the original benchmark set. I added heaven 4.0 and Valley to the results as was only re-testing one card with the new OC ability. My HOF was holding it's clock speeds as well, voltage etc or at least according to after burner logs.

Run 3D Mark fire strike in normal and extreme as there seem to not favour either brand, let's compare those, my CPU was 4770k at 4.60GHz.

Heaven 3.0 and 3D Mark 11 seems to favour AMD but are two clear wins for R290X.

A GTX at 1300 / 6800 brings the fight to AMD, but it's marginal wil AMD taking some victories and also NVIDIA.

Good clocking GTX 780's are over £500 especially the top stars such as HOF, LIGHTNING and CLASSIFIED.

Soldato
In fairness the heaven 4.0 is separated by 2fps and valley similar. Both of these benches also favour NVIDIA, 780 HOF was never tested in them as it was part of the original benchmark set. I added heaven 4.0 and Valley to the results as was only re-testing one card with the new OC ability. My HOF was holding it's clock speeds as well, voltage etc or at least according to after burner logs.

Run 3D Mark fire strike in normal and extreme as there seem to not favour either brand, let's compare those, my CPU was 4770k at 4.60GHz.

Heaven 3.0 and 3D Mark 11 seems to favour AMD but are two clear wins for R290X.

A GTX at 1300 / 6800 brings the fight to AMD, but it's marginal wil AMD taking some victories and also NVIDIA.

Good clocking GTX 780's are over £500 especially the top stars such as HOF, LIGHTNING and CLASSIFIED.

Hmm, same cpu and clock speed so I'll run a firemark run and report back to see whether there are discrepancies. I wrongly assumed you meant the Heaven and Valley runs were significantly better on the 290x but you've clarified. True though regarding the price, until it drops the 290x is a far better proposition, but if it does, it becomes a much harder choice.

Associate
Apart from the cards were on an open air test bench, I think everyone going on about the temperature are just looking for some form of attacking the card, it performs superbly and at an excellent price, for those with 780's, TITANS and some dual GPU setups then of course it's not worth it, anything else though and I couldn't think of a better card to upgrade to at the moment.

This is true it does look like its a great card for sure BUT in a week or two when people have time with them at home how will the heat and noise fair?? i like the benches but i personally could not live with that penitential heat wave in my case, What's the summer going to be like with those.

But i do like the look of the 290 (non X) :) those in xfire sounds very interesting judging bt the expected price.

Soldato
If I absolutely had to choose right now what card to buy I would go for a 780. The price difference.. I'd pay the little extra to have a quiet and cool card and is only 2~5 frames behind the 290x

If I had longer to choose I would wait and see how the 290x will evolve, with Mantle etc. I suppose BF4 will the first real world test of the card vs 780.

Associate
OP
That's just a deal price OcUK put on offer, not Nvidia slashing price across the board. Also £480 for the 780 was still overpriced before, even more so now that 290x is out at £430.

im not allowed to link to other sellers, but the 780 has been available for £460 for quite a bit now and next week, holiday bundle, 3 free games and im sure there will be a deal on another card, it will make a great deal.

also nvidia may slash their prices, we dont know yet

Associate
OP
If I absolutely had to choose right now what card to buy I would go for a 780. The price difference.. I'd pay the little extra to have a quiet and cool card and is only 2~5 frames behind the 290x

If I had longer to choose I would wait and see how the 290x will evolve, with Mantle etc. I suppose BF4 will the first real world test of the card vs 780.

this is a very good point. i wish i didnt sell my 480, it would have given me more time, to at least wait for 780 ti release which is surely going to push down 780 prices. but i have no gpu and so im going to get a 780 when the holiday bundle becomes available, hopefully next week.

Associate
What does he know? he is the most boring reviewer on the net a very rarely fall asleep at my desk, but 2 minutes with him does the trick

Mature comment. He knows quite a lot as it happens, I'd imagine more than you do about the subject. His advice and opinions about a product have never let me down once. The sheer amount of depth and detail he goes into when reviewing something may not be to everyone's taste I'll admit, but he's in my top 3 reviewers. I'd much rather watch one of his videos than a 3 min clip with a "hi, heres some graphs, bye" attitude.

He has been doubted in the past when some of his reviews of hyped products have gone against everyone else (Asus Maximus board not so long ago) and in the end he has been proved right - on that occasion there was an actual issue with the board/BIOS, yet he was immediately accused of being bought.

As for his 290X opinion, whether he just got a bad sample card or something, nobody knows, but I have no doubt that his results are legitimate for the card he received, and he's not the only one that has the 290X below the 780. He did say that he couldn't really overclock the 290X, so maybe that's a sign he just had a bad sample.

Overall, the 290X reviews are all over the place. Some have it beating the 780 and Titan easily, some have it below both, others have it above the 780 but slightly behind the Titan - I don't know what to believe.

Soldato

^^ This.

^^ Not this though, my 780 is a bog standard Palit reference card, cost £450 squid. Does 1300mhz all day long.

Associate
im not allowed to link to other sellers, but the 780 has been available for £460 for quite a bit now and next week, holiday bundle, 3 free games and im sure there will be a deal on another card, it will make a great deal.

also nvidia may slash their prices, we dont know yet

I cant aswell. I found the following:
MSI R9 290X 388.28 including VAT and Shipping
R9 290X Battlefield 4 Edition £439.99

Best of all, we don't even know the price of R9 290 yet.

Back
Top Bottom