Running a computer without a case...

Soldato
Hi all.

I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to run my PC outside of it's case for a few days. I'm just wondering what's considered good practice in terms of what the PC is resting on whilst it's doing this?

I appreciate that conductive metal would be a pretty brainless thing to do but what about cardboard? Or an anti-static bag? Or paper?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Naturally the goal is to minimise the risk of damage to any component.

Thanks.

Soldato
I had my mobo lying on some pieces of wood for several months (with standoffs still attached to keep it away).

Nothing wrong with putting it on a sheet of metal as long as you keep the standoffs in - that's just what the case is. The standoffs are probably either totally isolated, or connect with a ground plane in the mobo PCB. I would try to avoid putting it flat on anything tbh.

Soldato
The motherboard's box, don't use an anti-static bag, that's asking for trouble because it's only the inside of them that are anti-static. The outside is anything but.

Associate
trust me there's not going to be any issues. I had this for several days witout any problems. :)

74fba2d3-c600-4d7d-be0d-21399ae189e1.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's grounded by the PSU connection to the wall(PSU is off, but plugged in). I've built systems on(not in) the motherboard box for years(always tested before moving into the case) and not had any problems.

Sometimes when i'm feeling extra paranoid i'll hook up my anti-static wristband thing, but it gets in the way more than anything else(way too short, those things really should come with a much longer cable).

I usually just touch the radiator to(because it's grounded) every 5 minutes to discharge any static i may have built up(i'm usually building on a desk/table beside a radiator) as an extra precaution.

Touch wood, nothing gone wrong as yet, in more years than i can now remember..

Permabanned
You can't see the damage caused by ESD until it actually fully degrades a component, so saying nothing ever went wrong when you put it in a box, rubbed it over with polystyrene or hooked it up to a tesla coil, doesn't actually mean you are not damaging it. This isn't a pass/fail scenario.

The OP asked for best practice, which would be screwing it to a spare motherboard tray as idleman mentioned.

Permabanned
Best practice = not typical scenarios...

The OP asked for good practice, not the most ideal conditions. I'd love to have a test bench or a motherboard tray just floating around, but i don't unfortunately... but i do work with what i have, and *thus far* it has not(to my knowledge) degraded a system to the point it's failed. Each system i've built has either, got too old and slow and been replaced(or needed a HDD/PSU replacement), or been subject to some form of abuse that has resulted in the system's demise.

That's good enough for me, and i appreciate that it's not ideal... ;)

Back
Top Bottom