Potential fake courier scam

Soldato
This is a forum post from someone who fooled the scammers, so be warned if this happens to you.

“So I get home from work last night and Mrs AD tells me I have had a package delivered from DHL. However soon after it was delivered someone called to say it was an incorrect delivery and could they pick it up. She tells them they have to talk to me.

I take the package. I am not expecting any deliveries. The address has my name, street, and post code. I am puzzled. I have not ordered anything online lately.

Out of curiosity I open the package. Inside is A BRAND NEW iPHONE 5 and O2 SIM CARD!

I am on Orange with a 3GS and have not ordered an iPhone from O2. About half an hour later the phone rings. Some bloke whose first language is not English purporting to be from DHL tells me that have "had a fax from the sender" and they need to collect the package. I tell them "well - it is correctly addressed and I know what it is - an iPhone". He sounds a bit rattled but asks if his driver can collect it.

I tell him "call me at 9am and I'll let you know how long I will be at home"
Something is odd but I haven't worked it out yet.

I go to work and tell the story of the mysterious iPhone delivery. Quick as a flash a colleague tells me it’s a scam. I call O2's fraid department and give them the handset number. They immediately tell me it has been ordered on a contract and a direct debit in my name has been authorised. Fortunately the bank details O2 have do not match any of my own bank accounts. O2 bar the phone and tell me their fraud officers will be in touch

At 8pm the telephone at home goes. A bloke calling himself 'David' says he is from DHL. He has what I would call an African accent and wants to know when the driver can collect the package.

I ask him what DHL branch he is calling from. He mumbles something.
I say: "well it’s like this David. The phone has gone back to O2 and the line has been cancelled I am on to your little scam"

He says "what?" I say "I said I'm on to your little scam. The phone has gone back to O2 and don't you ever try to use my details to open a bank account again mate".

The line goes dead.

I have asked Equifax to send me my credit file to see what bank account has been opened against my name.

So. if any unexpected packages arrive and a courier wants to send someone to collect it - just say 'no'. Had I given the phone to their "driver" I would be getting phone bills from O2 for the next 18 months and it would be my word against theirs whether I had ever had the phone. “

Soldato
:eek:

That's shocking

I'll never forget the time I received a parcel in the post containing printouts of text files on my PC, along with holiday photos and receipts for goods I purchased online.

Took me ages but all I can think is this:

1. They went through my bin and found a backup CD I had thrown out (I scratch them all first though)
2. Hacked my PC somehow

Luckily we were moving house that week and the receipts never contained any account info

still, pretty incredible....and the cheek to post it to me :rolleyes:

Associate
called to say it was an incorrect delivery and could they pick it up.

The address has my name, street, and post code.[/I]

Not an incorrect delivery then, it was delivered to the address on the package

you were right to be suspicious,
Good call on checking your credit file, could you work out the bank from the sortcode o2 gave you

Associate
I dealt with one of these cases about three weeks ago - it was an order for an iphone 5C from Phones4U. The scammers had obtained the victim's name, DOB, address and phone number, submitted an order using their own mobile and email address, then monitored the delivery via DPD's tracking feature. Thankfully the victim was switched on and told the scammer they could collect the phone from the police station.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Fortunately the bank details O2 have do not match any of my own bank accounts.

[...]

Had I given the phone to their "driver" I would be getting phone bills from O2 for the next 18 months and it would be my word against theirs whether I had ever had the phone.

Story doesn't add up?

Anyway, yes, known scam. Don't fall for it, etc.

Soldato
Keep a close eye on your credit report for the next few months as unfortunately these things are rarely a one-off. This is a far more common form of fraud than you may realise.

Contact CIFAS and get them to register you as a victim of fraud as it will make it harder if anyone tries it again.

Soldato
I registered with CIFAS after being defrauded. The only apparent effect has been that getting credit cards is now almost impossible. I'd like an amazon credit card - nope, automated system rejects me, as it doesn't have the passwords set up with CIFAS nor a means of entering them.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have signed up.

Associate
I've seen this same thing happen for years I used to work for one of the phone companies and it happened loads, unfortunately they were normally older people who just handed the package over, the trouble is the direct debit can be anyone's they only need name, address, dob etc to get it ordered.

Associate
Story doesn't add up?

Anyway, yes, known scam. Don't fall for it, etc.

The bank details on my job were not the recipient's - The objective is to get the handset, not a working, valid contract. The account number and sort code were either another individual's, or random numbers.

Soldato
This is a forum post from someone who fooled the scammers, so be warned if this happens to you.

“So I get home from work last night and Mrs AD tells me I have had a package delivered from DHL. However soon after it was delivered someone called to say it was an incorrect delivery and could they pick it up. She tells them they have to talk to me.

I take the package. I am not expecting any deliveries. The address has my name, street, and post code. I am puzzled. I have not ordered anything online lately.

Out of curiosity I open the package. Inside is A BRAND NEW iPHONE 5 and O2 SIM CARD!

I am on Orange with a 3GS and have not ordered an iPhone from O2. About half an hour later the phone rings. Some bloke whose first language is not English purporting to be from DHL tells me that have "had a fax from the sender" and they need to collect the package. I tell them "well - it is correctly addressed and I know what it is - an iPhone". He sounds a bit rattled but asks if his driver can collect it.

I tell him "call me at 9am and I'll let you know how long I will be at home"
Something is odd but I haven't worked it out yet.

I go to work and tell the story of the mysterious iPhone delivery. Quick as a flash a colleague tells me it’s a scam. I call O2's fraid department and give them the handset number. They immediately tell me it has been ordered on a contract and a direct debit in my name has been authorised. Fortunately the bank details O2 have do not match any of my own bank accounts. O2 bar the phone and tell me their fraud officers will be in touch

At 8pm the telephone at home goes. A bloke calling himself 'David' says he is from DHL. He has what I would call an African accent and wants to know when the driver can collect the package.

I ask him what DHL branch he is calling from. He mumbles something.
I say: "well it’s like this David. The phone has gone back to O2 and the line has been cancelled I am on to your little scam"

He says "what?" I say "I said I'm on to your little scam. The phone has gone back to O2 and don't you ever try to use my details to open a bank account again mate".

The line goes dead.

I have asked Equifax to send me my credit file to see what bank account has been opened against my name.

So. if any unexpected packages arrive and a courier wants to send someone to collect it - just say 'no'. Had I given the phone to their "driver" I would be getting phone bills from O2 for the next 18 months and it would be my word against theirs whether I had ever had the phone. “

Tis quite scary though these people are criminals and know where you live and your bank accounts.

Back
Top Bottom