Receiving order today should I test build?

Associate
Hi guys my order should be delivered today, its everything bar GPU and cooler as I'm still undecided on what to do for these.

I know the best way to test stuff is to build it on a home made test bench a.k.a a box but just wondered how to go about this.

If I'm using OEM cooler with 4770k and seeing if it will boot, is it worth plugging in my new ssd and installing windows or shall I wait until I come to build it in case properly?

Also I'm getting 2133mhz corsair pro memory and using a z87 rog hero board, do I need to enable xmp for them to run at 2133?

Is there any other useful tips which might come in handy? last PC I built was 10 years ago..

Soldato
Have you bought the 4770k retail or OEM, as you can use the stock cooler for now if its a retail chip.

You can also run it off on board graphics..

If you've got a decent case adding a cooler and GPU aren't a big issue. So you may aswell just build it into the case to strat with..

I think you will have to enable xmp for it to run at 2133.

Associate
OP
Yes retail mate so stock Intel cooler, trying to decide between h100i or paying a bit extra and going custom loop.

Also waiting for evga 780ti sc acx I think.

If I build it outside of case how do you power on do you have to short some pins as it won't have a power button?

Associate
Remember to earth yourself.
If testing the build you can plug the ssd i i see no problem with that. Obviously If god forbid something dont work then strip the build down to minimum and test seperate. Good luck

Permabanned
Always test before putting in the case, it'll save your lots of time if the system fails to POST and rules out any shorting issues with the case/stand offs. Once you know everything boots and is operating correctly, then plonk it in.

Boot the system by jumping the two PWR pins on the front panel headers of the motherboard(using a flat head screwdriver will be sufficient). Heck if you have an old case you no longer use, dismantle it and remove the power switch, so you can plug it in when you're assembling outside of a case(i have two spares i use just for this - though more and more motherboards come with power switches on the board these days).

Soldato
Yes retail mate so stock Intel cooler, trying to decide between h100i or paying a bit extra and going custom loop.

Also waiting for evga 780ti sc acx I think.

If I build it outside of case how do you power on do you have to short some pins as it won't have a power button?

The GB OC has a power and rest button on the mobo. Check your manual.

Back
Top Bottom