Anyone had Porcelain Veneers

Associate
My teeth are pretty bad - I have a small mouth and never had them straightened/sorted out as a kid. I also used to smoke a lot resulting in receding gums/bone loss. I'd love to have implants but the cost....

Soldato
If anyone is seriously considering expensive dentist work, you can go to Budapest and pay a lot less money, check a few websites that have practises in London and Budapest, flights etc all included.

Soldato
If anyone is seriously considering expensive dentist work, you can go to Budapest and pay a lot less money, check a few websites that have practises in London and Budapest, flights etc all included.

You can, and I know specifically of one patient who followed that pathway, and upon return was hospitalised for sinus surgery to repair quite major damage caused by the placement (incorrectly), removal, and then replacement (again incorrectly) of a dental implant.
Suffice to say one infection, lots of antibiotics, a sinus repair and graft later, and you'd barely know he'd been abroad.
Other implants place in the same procedure had to be removed as they were compromised by the infection.

You get what you pay for.

Soldato
I had my front 4 done at around £1700 a tooth (owing to my having horridly shaped teeth as kid, not having braces when I should have, having 2 of them snapped by an idiot throwing an old style police truncheon and my catching it in the gob :D), and if you can afford it and have a good dentist I'd say it was a worthwhile investment. Mine are, in terms of finish/colour pretty much as they were the day(s) I had them done, some 9 years ago. And most importantly, my teeth look pretty good now.

It's very much a vanity thing. If I were to be making the decision now I wouldn't bother. But at the time I was entering adulthood/preparing for uni and whatnot, and it made sense.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had Dental Implants on one of my teeth as I knocked it out drunk. That cost me around £3,000. They basically screw a titanium post into your jaw bone and attach the tooth once its healed.

I think you can get the full top set done for like £7,000 and that only requires 2 posts either side.

Associate
You can, and I know specifically of one patient who followed that pathway, and upon return was hospitalised for sinus surgery to repair quite major damage caused by the placement (incorrectly), removal, and then replacement (again incorrectly) of a dental implant.
Suffice to say one infection, lots of antibiotics, a sinus repair and graft later, and you'd barely know he'd been abroad.
Other implants place in the same procedure had to be removed as they were compromised by the infection.

You get what you pay for.

That is not strictly correct. You normally get what you pay for - but there are no guarantees even in the UK. There are plenty of dentists here who can be just as ineffectual at their jobs.

Soldato
That is not strictly correct. You normally get what you pay for - but there are no guarantees even in the UK. There are plenty of dentists here who can be just as ineffectual at their jobs.

So true, I spent 2 days off work with an abscess that was caused by my dentist drilling too deep and hitting the nerve, that's why I go private now. Take much better care of you.

Soldato
So true, I spent 2 days off work with an abscess that was caused by my dentist drilling too deep and hitting the nerve, that's why I go private now. Take much better care of you.

Drilled too deep? On purpose?
No decay there just decided to drill too deep?

You know sometimes bacterial infection is ahead of where the soft decay stops, so after a tooth is filled it can abscess and become painful. Not necessarily the dentists fault. Simple microbiology. They should have warned you of the potential if it was a deep filling. If they didn't it is their error. If they warned you and you hold them responsible, then maybe start with the sugar in your diet that caused the decay in the first place.

Soldato

There are no guarantees, but anyone practicing legally in the UK will be insured, in the UK.
So there should always be some comeback for the patient, they must have indemnity insurance to practice, if not it is assault/battery/or worse and should be reported to the GDC.

I am unsure how that works in Budapest.

Soldato
Drilled too deep? On purpose?
No decay there just decided to drill too deep?

You know sometimes bacterial infection is ahead of where the soft decay stops, so after a tooth is filled it can abscess and become painful. Not necessarily the dentists fault. Simple microbiology. They should have warned you of the potential if it was a deep filling. If they didn't it is their error. If they warned you and you hold them responsible, then maybe start with the sugar in your diet that caused the decay in the first place.

Yes the dentist drilled too deep and did take full responsibility for it.

When he was drilling, he hit the nerve, causing it to swell and cause an infection, had to take antibiotics to stop the infection for 10 days, but the first 2 days were awful, never had pain like it.

Soldato
Yes the dentist drilled too deep and did take full responsibility for it.

When he was drilling, he hit the nerve, causing it to swell and cause an infection, had to take antibiotics to stop the infection for 10 days, but the first 2 days were awful, never had pain like it.

If he hit the nerve why did he not remove it?
I assume it was eventually filled with a root canal?
Seems a bizarre treatment choice to leave infection in place, when none was present before and treat with antibiotics which don't generally help when the infection is restricted to the nerve of the tooth.

I think you are certainly best elsewhere if that's his choice of treatment.

Soldato
If he hit the nerve why did he not remove it?
I assume it was eventually filled with a root canal?
Seems a bizarre treatment choice to leave infection in place, when none was present before and treat with antibiotics which don't generally help when the infection is restricted to the nerve of the tooth.

I think you are certainly best elsewhere if that's his choice of treatment.

Root canal was done but only after the infection had gone, i had to wait 15 days before i could get back into the dentist.

He told me he couldn't remove the nerve until the infection had gone, i was not happy about that as i was in agony.

doctor prescribed me Co-amoxiclav to speed up the process.

Whole reason im in private now.

Associate
There are no guarantees, but anyone practicing legally in the UK will be insured, in the UK.
So there should always be some comeback for the patient, they must have indemnity insurance to practice, if not it is assault/battery/or worse and should be reported to the GDC.

I am unsure how that works in Budapest.

Insurance or no insurance - the quality of treatment has more to do with the experience and skill of the dentist than the location (assuming tools etc. are up-to-date).

Associate
How are some of you people getting Porcelain Veneers done so cheaply (£200 per tooth!?) - I'm looking to get a few of my upper teeth done and haven't been quoted less than £800 per tooth for porcelain vaneers and circa £200 per tooth for composite vaneers (bonds)....

Last edited:
Soldato
How are some of you people getting Porcelain Veneers done so cheaply (£200 per tooth!?) - I'm looking to get a few of my upper teeth done and haven't been quoted less than £800 per tooth for porcelain vaneers and circa £200 per tooth for composite vaneers (bonds)....

Mad pricing.
Love to work in your area.

Back
Top Bottom