Why do we have political parties?

Associate
This is probably one of those things where there is a good reason that I haven’t spotted, but I find myself wondering, why do we need political parties and a prime minister? As far as I can make out, most MPs follow their parties decision most of the time, rather than based on what their particular constituents want. Similarly, while we vote for a party, we get no say in what ministers that then puts into which position. Furthermore, if one minister is failing in the eyes of the public but their party supports them, the public has no control until the next general election, where their only option is to vote out the entire party.

I see in my head the following position – No parties, each area votes their own MP in, he then votes on things put before the house as he does now, but based on his opinions rather than those of his party leader. Ministers would be elected either by the house, or by public election. Individual MPs and ministers that are dead wood could be chopped without having to displace the rest of the government.

Like I say, I’m sure there’s a good reason that I haven't spotted, but I don’t see what having political parties brings to the table. Feel free to tell me what it is.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
This is actually a tricky question. I guess there are a few reasons:

- people believe that groups can achieve more as they are all fighting for a common goal
- economies of scale exist in marketing, and running costs which favour groups over individuals
- people are too lazy to investigate independent policies (or policies at all!)

Personally I think the whip is one of the worst things in politics and I would prefer every mp to be an independent.

Soldato
I would like to see more power given on a county or local council level so that you don't have to win a general election to change things. If people don't like something they can just move to another county that will accommodate them.

Soldato
Our electoral system is based on one with no political parties, it's one of the reason it's so broken and unrepresentative. Tories and Whigs came after the system of raising a Parliament came into existence.

As it stands we are supposed to vote for a member of the house who will represent the needs of their constituents in the current Parliament, unfortunately now people just vote for a party regardless of local politics and it's interface with national agenda.

In my constituency my vote is worth approximately 0.040 of a vote and that is utterly disgraceful and horribly unrepresentative.

Soldato
The whole system is broken in a variety of interesting and colourful ways. It needs a radical shake-up, but it won't get that as those in power (or, those with power) will not allow it to be taken away. Perhaps our children's children will be able to do something about it.

I do smile when people complain about Labour this, or Tory that; when, frankly, they are pretty much all lying, money-grabbing cheats. The only difference is the school they went to and the colour on their rosettes.

Soldato
I see in my head the following position – No parties, each area votes their own MP in, he then votes on things put before the house as he does now, but based on his opinions rather than those of his party leader.

I have considered this as well. I find the whole yes men thing detestable and to then add a chief whip to enforce the party line pushes me over the edge with the current arrangement.

However I'd quickly follow this up with, you a) need a single person at the top (this could be voted in by the independent MP's but I dislike the lack of personal choice (perhaps the vote could predeclared and this will then by voted as a by product of choosing your MP)). b) there will likely be even more bickering and result in a even less productive parliament. c) laws are likely be even less well thought out and implemented without a team in a political party writing things up (I presume each MP would put forward their proposal to be voted on?) d) keeping the status quo would more likely be the default vote e)controversial decisions that ultimately should be passed are very unlikely to be (Trident). I also suspect political parties will form in secret (I scratch your back).

Soldato
The whole system is broken in a variety of interesting and colourful ways. It needs a radical shake-up, but it won't get that as those in power (or, those with power) will not allow it to be taken away. Perhaps our children's children will be able to do something about it.

I do smile when people complain about Labour this, or Tory that; when, frankly, they are pretty much all lying, money-grabbing cheats. The only difference is the school they went to and the colour on their rosettes.

So much truth, my mind almost exploded.

Caporegime
People have a tendency to eventually rebel against dictators and monarchs, whereas people are more likely to put hope in the next elections when they get screwed over by a democracy.

Party A is in power screwing the people.
Voting for party B will fix everything.

Party B is in power screwing the people.
Voting for party A will fix everything.

Marginalise parties C, D, E, F etc who are not controlled so they never get in power.

Ad infinitum.

In the far future our current political system will probably be seen as an evolution of dictatorship. ;)

IMO it doesn't matter what form of government you have they can all be good and bad, it's possible to have good dictators and monarchs and bad democracies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom