How is the PS4 as a media centre?

Hi all.

Medium term I will probably buy a PS4.
I have debating getting a <£100 PC for the living room to play my HD files as the PS3 is fussy over USB sticks, files, and can't play standard HD files (can do mp4).

Is the PS4 any good as a media centre? If it is I won't bother with the cheap PC.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Most media type functions such as DLNA are not currently available on the PS4, supposed to be in an early update. No play from USB or external Hard disk limits is for Media type stuff, it still has an issue 3D BDs. Not sure when and if this will be sorted in a future update.

Soldato
Most media type functions such as DLNA are not currently available on the PS4, supposed to be in an early update. No play from USB or external Hard disk limits is for Media type stuff, it still has an issue 3D BDs. Not sure when and if this will be sorted in a future update.

This. Its currently pretty useless as media centre, PS3 does a much better job. Hopefully they get the update that adds all of the missing features soon.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Sorry, what do you mean 'play to'?

If I remember rightly you need to download something to be able to stream a movie to the xbox one. Once installed you right click on the movie and choose play to. It will then stream that movie to your xbox.

As media player the One sucks balls. It's a poor excuse for a media player and is a huge step back from the last gen.

Soldato
Both have taken step back from the last gen.

One wonders if they've deliberately made accessing your own media harder in order to encourage signs up to streaming services.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
If I knew how poor the xbox one was when it came to streaming movies I would never have bought it. The one was supposed to replace the PS3 in the lounge, never going to happen now.

Soldato
Yup as said, both consoles are rubbish when it comes to Media so I wouldn't advise anyone to buy them for anything other than gaming. For me, it's worth the price for gaming alone but for some it isn't so if not, there are no other reasons to buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

I still use my PS3 as a Media device upstairs and I've had to switch my streaming, movies/tv and music via USB through my home cinema system or just plugging it into the TV. Bit irritating having to swtich devices now when PS3 did everything but if it means better quality gaming machine then i'm all for it - but jury is out on that still

Soldato
My PS3 now lives in children's room.....works great for them as a Barbie server, Infinity gaming and general Dance shenanigans.......
Always used to use it as a DLNA server, but now use TV itself, streaming from a HDD plugged into my AC68U :D
PS4, as others have said, lacks pretty much all media functionality atm, although the word is we may see this change in a reasonably soon firmware....

Caporegime
I used my PS4 for Blu-Ray last night and it was awful for integration into the OS, it looks as if it's been tacked on. If someone messages you, you cannot pause the film and reply back, you need to actually exit the film, whereas in a game you can pause it, go to the main screen and reply then jump straight back into your game again.

So when I did this last night I had to then re-set up the film (I use specific audio settings for SQ) and then go to scene selection to find where I roughly was and then start from there. Should I get another message in future I will simply have to ignore it, which begs the question why even show a pop up on screen that someone has sent you an invite or message when you cannot go into them without exiting the film?

Another thing that I don't get is people spend £600+ easily on a console (when you add in online sub costs (£40 a year), game costs (£40+ each) and additional controllers (£49 each) or headsets (£50-£200), etc).

Yet then use a crappy £300-£400 tv to play it on.

My GT50 only cost £799 iirc (50 inch top end Panasonic plasma panel) and has DLNA built into it. I then use my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 with bubbleupnp to stream anything I want directly from my phone to the tv (tv shows and movies) or I can put it onto USB from the PC and put the USB straight into the TV and it will play most files no bother without additional hardware so I don't need a media centre or anything as the TV can do it all for me. It also has 3D, came with 2 sets of free glasses, 5 year warranty, Smart TV, gaming mode (low input lagg), etc, etc basically tons of stuff.

Because spending less on a mediocre tv then having to buy additional stuff like WD live's and USB hard drives or network drives work's out to slightly less cost wise, but then you have to live with a much smaller and lower PQ panel for the life of the TV.

Why not spend slightly more in the first place get a top end set and then you don't need to buy little things to add onto it? You will also have a much better tv which is far more important because you use that for everything, TV, Movies, Consoles, etc.

IMO if you can afford to spend £600+ on a console you should be buying decent TV's to play them on which do everything without additional stuff.

Soldato
Agreed. PS4 is a useless media center.

If dropping £350 on a console, then don't expect this one to do anything more then play games IMO. I've got mine hooked to a smart TV, Netflix, BBC iplayer and even Plex streaming from my PC is handled by the Smart TV which does a fantastic job.

Ps4 is for my console gaming fix. Ps3 did a better job at media, PS4 is a big step backwards in regards to media, but Ps4 is a great games (GAMES) console.. : - )

Back
Top Bottom