Open/Casual relationship thoughts

Capodecina
Soldato
A pair of swingers who can't fulfil each others needs?

That's basically it, yes. But she's a nymphomaniac, literally, and there's no way he - or most men - could keep up with it. But some people can love a person and sleep with other people, and still come back to that person. The arrangement works for them.

Soldato
I've had an open relationship before with my ex. It was quite fun.

We liked each other a lot but didn't really 'love' each other as such.

I couldn't do it if I'm with somebody I love though (like now)... I had my fun when I was younger.

Soldato
I dont think i would like an open relationship as i couldnt trust myself not to develop feelings for the woman that would complicate the relationship. A series of one night stands would probably suit me better.

Associate
I've been with someone that we just have more of an agreement really. Never spoke with her about other guys, only saw her maybe a handful of times for just social reasons the rest of the time it was just for sex. I was seeing and pursing other women and I know she was doing the same with guys (to qualify that she did end up marrying one of them). Busy lives meant that late night rendezvous were perfect for around the two years it went on for. This wasn't a once year affair either, tried to make it once a week but but the gaps were no longer then every two weeks. It ended when she met someone who was living in her area and didn't want to cheat on - sweet girl really :p.

It can be done but there is no way you can have a friendship and an open relationship, I don't think many people are wired that way.

Associate
I think this is one of those things I always liked the sound of but if it was to become a reality I wouldn't enjoy it, like a fartless body as a point of reference.

Man of Honour
The fact that you had to justify the first part of that post to us all when it is, at best, tangential to the question you're asking suggests to me you're not as "totally cool with it" as you make out.

But to answer the question, no, I couldn't. Every now and then I'll have a mild jealous pang, which I'm told is 'cute.'

My thoughts pretty much word for word.

Caporegime
no way am I scrambling another mans eggs.

I wouldn't go with a prostitute for that reason and certainly wouldn't want someone I love sleeping with other people.

Soldato
ive always wondered about an open relationship situation in terms of if you were out together, and you saw another girl - would it be acceptable to hit on other girl in front of the regular open relationship girl?
Or do you just do it and know each other are doing it, but never discuss it or talk about it etc....

Capodecina
Soldato
ive always wondered about an open relationship situation in terms of if you were out together, and you saw another girl - would it be acceptable to hit on other girl in front of the regular open relationship girl?
Or do you just do it and know each other are doing it, but never discuss it or talk about it etc....

I think it depends on the couple. Sometimes if you want a threesome of course it would work.

Associate
It *can* work. I've been lucky enough to have an ex approach me with a 'arrangement' that when we are both single and out on the town one can text the other for a 'booty call' with no worries if the other doesn't reply or isn't up for it.

That said, it can very much be a minefield, particularly if a pregnancy scare happens...

Man of Honour
In the culture/peer group/environment where I grew up and learned my values, polygamy just feels completely alien to me.

If I had been brought up in a different way, or experienced different aspects I'm sure my outlook would be different.

This is different to being a young 20 something and spreading your seed in short term relationships, or just a little bit of "fun".

This is actively being with other people whilst being in a committed relationship - it just feels "odd" to me.

Soldato
no way am I scrambling another mans eggs.

I wouldn't go with a prostitute for that reason and certainly wouldn't want someone I love sleeping with other people.

So you'd only sleep with someone that was a virgin before meeting you then?

My girlfriend has slept with other people before me, so what? As long as she's not doing it now, what's the problem?

Soldato
I was in an open relationship for a while, was a lot of fun, but we had ground rules regarding sex (protection, limits etc) however it was more the fact that some people knew we were open, and one or two of them assumed this meant we would sleep with literally anyone/everyone, and when they tried it on the GF, they came on a fair bit too strongly, and she freaked, had a bit of a breakdown and ended things with me (there's a whole extra backstory of her being a mental case but that's less important to the story)

Either way, I had some fun, she's now with one of the guys she was seeing at the time. You've just got to know what you want from the relationship and know what the other wants/expects.

Soldato
In the culture/peer group/environment where I grew up and learned my values, polygamy just feels completely alien to me.

If I had been brought up in a different way, or experienced different aspects I'm sure my outlook would be different.

This is different to being a young 20 something and spreading your seed in short term relationships, or just a little bit of "fun".

This is actively being with other people whilst being in a committed relationship - it just feels "odd" to me.

Exactly how I feel. I have procrastinated on the subject and wondered if its me and my values or me and my culture that prohibits it. Each time I try and justify it I am left with the following conclusions:

I love my wife and she is the one I want to grow old with, sex with another person would be just that, sex. Meaningless and devoid of emotion. It sounds great if you are a 18 year old flinging your wild seed everywhere, but if you stick to that path, you will lead a very empty life.

Other cultures did it in the past to ensure the survival of their people. The reason it carries on now is purely (imho) tradition.

Im a firm believer that if you are tempted to cheat, you should break it off with the first person because you obviously don't love them.

Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom