The Stormlight Archive Book 2- Words of Radiance (Possible spoilers)

Soldato
Anyone gonna be picking this up? It is released on March 4th.

I have it on pre-order, and am really looking forward to it. I enjoyed The Way of Kings, though I found the lore a little forced in certain areas. I am feeling good about the series overall. There are quite a few sample chapters around, of which I have only read 2, but it is looking pretty good imo.

Obviously massive spoilers!

http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/01/...ords-of-radiance-prologue-chapter-one-and-two

http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/01/...radiance-prologue-chapter-three-four-and-five

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Last edited:
Soldato
More than likely, have way of kings and by accident i bought way of kings book 2, didnt read the description thought it was the 2nd in the series, but it seems way of kings was spilt into 2 books :(

Associate
Soooo excited by this!!! Best fantasy I've read in years.

He killed a bloody shard bearer!!!!

New Locke Lamora is good as well.

Soldato
OP
Got really stuck in last night. Was reading until about 4am, and could barely keep my eyes open!

Much, much better than Way of Kings, and far more epic. It is shaping up in to one hell of a series:)

Unfortunately though-

They killed off by far the most interesting character quite early on:(

Soldato
Got really stuck in last night. Was reading until about 4am, and could barely keep my eyes open!

Much, much better than Way of Kings, and far more epic. It is shaping up in to one hell of a series:)

Unfortunately though-

They killed off by far the most interesting character quite early on:(

That shocked me a bit too.

Don't forget that as she had the ability to Soulcast and had visited Shadesmar, she had demonstrated two abilities exclusive to Radiants. Kaladin seems quite adept at shrugging off injuries when infused with Stormlight.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I finished it the other night. Couldn't put it down by the end. The ending was totally epic, and very satisfying, though I personally find it very difficult to predict what might happen next tbh. Also, whilst epic, I did get the slight sense that the ending might have been slightly rushed in a way, and reactions of some of the characters seem a bit shallow in some regards to what is happening.

The most impressive thing about it was the consistency all the way through. It was very well paced, and a lot less sluggish than Way of Kings. There are a lot of different plot threads taking shape, and lots of factions appearing that need exploring(can't keep track of them all, and I'm not even sure if some of them are separate factions or if I am confusing two at some points). The drip-feeding of information and lore is being very well handled by Sanderson imo....and the various cliffhangers and slight hints are enough to fuel plenty of speculation for a good while yet.

PS. If anyone has read Warbreaker by Sanderson(you should, I thought it was pretty good, but my recommendation of it is now certain due to this book;)), there are some incredible revelations in this book:eek:....my jaw dropped at the 2nd to last chapter;)

Soldato
I held off even poking my nose in to this thread before I had read it.

Incredible.

The poster before me has pretty much summed it up. Well paced, gripping and engaging. The history, mythos and lore has totally grabbed me.

Soldato
Anybody know if the kindle version of way of kings includes both parts as I understand that book was split into two volumes?

Soldato
I am not sure, but at 1009 pages, I would think that is the whole thing.

Aye i saw the page count after posting this so grabbed it anyway. Hopefully it contains both of the parts. I hope this book lives up to the hype as i am starved of fantasy since Gemmell passed, and the last recommendation i followed (clockwork vampire trilogy) was bloody awful.

Soldato
By the way, anybody who hasn't, check out the audible audiobooks. 1 credit each and they are the longest books on audible, wonderfully read split between Michael Kramer for the male leads and Kate Reading for the shallan chapters.

Soldato
OP
The history, mythos and lore has totally grabbed me.

Have you checked out some of Sandersons other Cosmere stuff? As I mentioned earlier, Warbreaker in particular is pretty good, and has some good links to Stormlight Archive. I wasn't the biggest Mistborn fan, but it isn't bad, and might be slightly linked in future.

Last edited:

AGD

AGD

Soldato
By the way, anybody who hasn't, check out the audible audiobooks. 1 credit each and they are the longest books on audible, wonderfully read split between Michael Kramer for the male leads and Kate Reading for the shallan chapters.

I don't really rate them as narrators but you can't argue with getting near 50 hours of audiobook for 7.99 (3.99 if you are a new customer). Just sign up, download, then cancel your membership and enjoy. :)

Back
Top Bottom