Photos missing after hard drive upgrade? Help please!

Soldato
Hello :)

Me and a friend did a hard drive upgrade for another friend for her Macbook Pro. Her old one was running extremely slow and a check in with SeaTools confirmed that it was broken/damaged. So we backed up all her data on an external HDD and installed OS X on the brand new Samsung SSD.

Everything works perfectly but when she checked for her photos in the external HDD, she's couldn't find them and neither could we.:( She was using iPhoto on her old install but the new one doesn't have it.

Where could the photos be?! We searched the whole external HDD with the backups for images but couldn't find any of the photos.

Thanks in advance! :)

Soldato
Still got the old drive? Chuck it in a caddy and have a look.

If the drive was uber knackered it may not have been able to copy off the photos.

iPhoto can also be funky with how it stores images, my iPhoto Library (1 file) is about 6GB, but I think all it contains is previews and thumbnails. Could be that if you install iPhoto on her new machine then it will find where old iphoto was referencing all the files. You could try copying iphoto from the old hdd/external to the new one (apps folder).

Soldato
OP
Thanks! Wow we managed to find them. We plugged in the knackered hard drive which is still working and managed to find all the data, even her music and other stuff. Hmm I think we just did something wrong when copying the files.

We are new to fixing Macs :o

Back
Top Bottom