• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Haswell-E, X99 & DDR4 in June ?

Soldato
Well Haswell-E will cost the earth, so if you were looking say at an i5, go for it as this will be out of your price range.

Soldato
/not impressed

2.133 GHz is surprisingly low, especially as:

At a recent MemCon conference in Tokyo, Japan, Bill Gervasi, vice president of engineering at US Modular and a member of the JEDEC board of directors, revealed that the target effective clock-speeds for DDR4 memory would be 2133MHz - 4266MHz, an increase from previously discussed frequencies. Apparently, JEDEC and memory manufacturers decided that the progress of DDR3 leaves no space for DDR4 data rates below 2133Mb/s.

That was 3.5 years ago mind http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory...ion_DDR4_Memory_to_Reach_4_266GHz_Report.html

Hopefully the motherboard manufacturers can put in some "OC" slots.

Last edited:
Associate
But I thought apart from lower voltages, the point of DDR4 was to give higher speeds? Seems odd to 'officially' only support it up to what isn't even the highest supported on DDR3

Associate
Why do we need DDR4 anyway? I've not heard of RAM bottlenecks with DDR3 and some of those processors will have what, 30MB of L3 cache on them? It's like RDIMMs all over again :p

Soldato
Great, here's waiting for another Intel CPU with a 5% performance improvement, pointless DDR4, a new platform they will offer little in the way of new technologies and innovation, reduced overclocking potential and a sky high premiums. :o

Soldato
But I thought apart from lower voltages, the point of DDR4 was to give higher speeds? Seems odd to 'officially' only support it up to what isn't even the highest supported on DDR3

Haswell 4770K - Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600
http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/intel-core-i7-4770k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3_90-ghz

2133 as a base level is a significant increase, also, it's a new form of RAM, it needs time to develop.
It's pointless anyway because we'll just be slapping 2400-2666MHz RAM (when available) in there anyway.

Soldato
Great, here's waiting for another Intel CPU with a 5% performance improvement, pointless DDR4, a new platform they will offer little in the way of new technologies and innovation, reduced overclocking potential and a sky high premiums. :o

This ^^

without competition intel will just continue to milk the consumer for every minuscule change. Long gone are the huge jumps in performance we used to see :(

Back
Top Bottom