• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290X Lightning fan issues.....

Associate
Does anyone else use this card? Its a beast of a card and over clocks like a dream, it beats most GTX Ti and Titans...
But....

The two outer fans on my card have stopped working. They dont not work at all, they spin at stock speeds, around 30%, what they dont do is increase speed when the card gets hotter under load. They did when I first got the card, a few days ago (less than a week) but now they dont.

In afterburner the fan control option is greyed out and in settings the fan tab isn't available.
In AMD overdrive the fan control is greyed out.
in the MSI fan utility that comes with the card the fans are greyed out and there is no control.

The card is also showing appauling FPS in BF4 (24fps ultra) in both Direct-X and Mantal.

Does anyone know how to access the other bios on the card or even flash the card?

Im running Cat Beta 14.3 v1 on win 7 pro.

Any help would be amazing as I dont want to have to send another card back..........

Soldato
What are your temps like?? it might be getting too hot and throttling and that would drag ur fps down,, but i think its sounding like Ur going to have to send it back

Associate
Try 13.12 official drivers and 14.2 beta, could just be a driver issue.

Doesn't look good though, make sure thd cards seated correctly xnd try the drivers.

Also try the other bios by moving the switch on the card.

Associate
OP
I forgot to mention that ive done a fresh install and im getting the same thing.
When I got the card the box was damaged and the protective film that covers the fans looked like it had been partially peeled away then reapplied.
I did report this to OverclockersUK and they assured me it was a fresh card from MSI, which I dont doubt because it was in an MSI packaged currier box.

Ill try all the options later when im home from work and ill post screen shots.

Thanks for any advice....

Caporegime
Sounds like a card issue rather than a driver issue. I wonder if the fan connector has come loose on the card, have you checked? If it hasn't then i think you'll be looking at an rma. Might be worth contacting msi and asking them for their thoughts as well.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a card issue rather than a driver issue. I wonder if the fan connector has come loose on the card, have you checked? If it hasn't then i think you'll be looking at an rma. Might be worth contacting msi and asking them for their thoughts as well.

Ive just had the card out and checked, all seated nicely. Im on the second bios for the card now and still all the same.
Im going to install cat 13.12 and see what happens. If its still the same then Ill be in touch with MSI and OverclockersUK about RMA.

Associate
OP
DONT INSTALL BETA DRIVERS!!!!

Well after a couple of hours of testing and messing and hair pulling out.....

It seems it was the Cat Beta drivers all along!!!! :eek:

So if you have this card, MSI R9 290X Lighting, DO NOT install the beta drivers. It screws up the fans and could result in frying your card.

The end. :cool:

Soldato
Glad you got it sorted and its working fine now :)
Enjoy your card and glad you didn't damage your card figuring it out!

Associate
Well after a couple of hours of testing and messing and hair pulling out.....

It seems it was the Cat Beta drivers all along!!!! :eek:

So if you have this card, MSI R9 290X Lighting, DO NOT install the beta drivers. It screws up the fans and could result in frying your card.

The end. :cool:

Told ya :D

Back
Top Bottom