New build (mini ITX)

Associate
OP
Also hono ive just looked at my HDD and its a Serial ATA (SATA?) So it should just transfer straight across. Which means i have windows at the ready for now and at a later time i can just add a SSD and windows 8? Might just be easier to do it all in one go tbh...to many decisions lol

Soldato
Also hono ive just looked at my HDD and its a Serial ATA (SATA?) So it should just transfer straight across. Which means i have windows at the ready for now and at a later time i can just add a SSD and windows 8? Might just be easier to do it all in one go tbh...to many decisions lol

Yip it's Sata. You can use it but a fresh install of the OS would be wise, Vista is naff so I would just use the windows 8.1 trial.

The retail CPUs come with a stock heatsink and 3 year warranty. The OEM can be cheaper but they do lack the heatsink and only have a 1 year warranty, the idea is that the saving can help pay for a decent heatsink.

Mini-Itx mobos can have the CPU socket located close to the PCI-E slot so picking aftermarket heatsinks can be tricky as some would over hang blocking the slot you want to use for the GPU.

Case is a personal preference but I would lean to using an mATX mobo, that Aerocool DS can use mATX btw. The mATX mobos have more DIMM slots for RAM aswell as extra PCI slots too, so you have more room for expansion. Mini-itx builds tend to work out more expensive fella to be fair.

Associate
OP
Yip it's Sata. You can use it but a fresh install of the OS would be wise, Vista is naff so I would just use the windows 8.1 trial.

The retail CPUs come with a stock heatsink and 3 year warranty. The OEM can be cheaper but they do lack the heatsink and only have a 1 year warranty, the idea is that the saving can help pay for a decent heatsink.

Mini-Itx mobos can have the CPU socket located close to the PCI-E slot so picking aftermarket heatsinks can be tricky as some would over hang blocking the slot you want to use for the GPU.

Case is a personal preference but I would lean to using an mATX mobo, that Aerocool DS can use mATX btw. The mATX mobos have more DIMM slots for RAM aswell as extra PCI slots too, so you have more room for expansion. Mini-itx builds tend to work out more expensive fella to be fair.

Looks increasing likely that I'll lean towards the ATX rather than the mini ITX also looks like windows 8 too. I'll just have to bear through it lol.

I see thanks just wondering if using after market fans will be quieter than the standard ones. I've seen a few things kicking around the internet about using rubber fans as they as a lot more silent? Any truth in this as I'd of thought plastic ones spinning at higher RPM should be quite silent too

Caporegime
So you are open to ATX or mATX now?

P.S dont buy a CX500M PSU, they are not the best and its not too hard to find a better alternative with a higher quality internal parts.

Caporegime
Associate
OP
The CX range of PSU are poor.

MSI cards with the TwinFrozr seem to have a habit of losing oil from the fan bearings.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £142.99
1 x SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £59.99
1 x Silverstone Strider Plus 500W Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (SST-ST50F-P) £59.99
Total : £272.57 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Thanks for the info. I've swooped them over to the gfx card and the 550W PSU you suggested. And it's actually slightly cheaper too. Double bonus.

If there any bench mark sites or anything I could get some figures for this setup. I think it will preform quite well for a cheap build?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, much better.

If there any bench mark sites or anything I could get some figures for this setup. I think it will preform quite well for a cheap build?

Just go and check out reviews of the 270 at various websites and also check to see what CPU they are using in their test setup. Generally it is an ok card at 1080P without to much anti-aliasing and most games set to high details. Anything higher than that and it struggles.

Associate
This looks like the build I was going to go ahead with. What's your guys thoughts?

CPU/Mobo/RAM bundle
GFX
SSD
Power supply
Case

It's on the cheap side and in budget with windows added on. Seems like a decent system to run my games at decent FPS. Which version of windows will this run? I'm guess 64BIT.

Sorry for the links, but I'm using my iPad at the moment.

IIRC, 32bit windows will only use ~3.5gb of ram, so you'll need 64bit to get the best of the 8gb included with that kit.

That bundle includes a non-K variant of the i5, which I believe means you won't be able to overclock (this probably won't be an issue, just worth noting).

Tbh, I ran WoW on a 4850 at 1680x1050 with decent graphics settings for two years before I got round to upgrading, so if you think you can put up with it not being on ultra for a few weeks it might be worth using your old card and putting the money towards a better CPU? WoW in general is more CPU intensive than many single player games, and in many cases will be held back by the CPU long before it maxes out the graphics card.

Associate
OP
IIRC, 32bit windows will only use ~3.5gb of ram, so you'll need 64bit to get the best of the 8gb included with that kit.

That bundle includes a non-K variant of the i5, which I believe means you won't be able to overclock (this probably won't be an issue, just worth noting).

Tbh, I ran WoW on a 4850 at 1680x1050 with decent graphics settings for two years before I got round to upgrading, so if you think you can put up with it not being on ultra for a few weeks it might be worth using your old card and putting the money towards a better CPU? WoW in general is more CPU intensive than many single player games, and in many cases will be held back by the CPU long before it maxes out the graphics card.

I'd be open to a suggestion on a better CPU as it looks likely I'll be buying the stuff in stages. The reason I picked the bundle as I thought it was a good price for what u get? Unless u can suggest better indivually

Associate
OP
Just looking at some different things online and a few reviews.

Is it worth dropping the gigabyte card I have in my basket for the Sapphire Radeon R7 265 As I'll be using my PC in my sitting room on my 37" LED Smart TV via HDMI. Also saves me about £40. Says it's highly Overclockable, although I have no experience over clocking gfx or CPUs

Associate
OP
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R7_265_Dual-X/24.html

Judging by that a 270X is 21% faster, a 270 non X is just a slightly downclocked version of a 270X.

Really handy. Looking at possibly buying Titan fall as well so better gfx probably will come in more handy for latest titles.

Also with the standard cooling inside the dead silence case will there be any need to buy a bigger CPU cooler or will the standard one it come with plus the 2 be enough cooling ?

Caporegime
The stock cooler supplied with the bundle will tide you over, it wont be hard to swap out for a bigger one either, most cases have a hole in the tray to give access to the back of the board.

Associate
OP
Can I have your thoughts on the below specs guys. Not sure if I can do a AMD ITX alternative, or if it would be better. But budget has dropped so looking at the AMD budget plan instead and im torn between Kaveri CPU with GFX and no card till I can afford it or the Piledriver 3.9Ghz and MSI R9 270 GFX. Thoughts? Want to order sometime this week but need some feedback on it first :)

Option 1:
YOUR BASKET
1 x AMD Kaveri 7850K 12 Compute Core APU w/ Radeon R7 Graphics (4 CPU + 8 GPU Compute Cores) - Retail £131.99
1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £74.99
1 x Aero Cool Dead Silence Gaming White Mini Tower Windowed £72.95
1 x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SH103S3/120G) £59.99
1 x SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £53.99
1 x Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 MicroATX Motherboard £49.99
1 x Corsair Hydro H60 V2 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler £49.99
1 x Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX24C11T3K2/8X) £45.95
Total : £561.25 (includes shipping : £17.85).

Option 2:
YOUR BASKET
1 x MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming Edition OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £127.99
1 x AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6350 Black Edition 3.90GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail £95.99
1 x Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614) £74.99
1 x Aero Cool Dead Silence Gaming White Mini Tower Windowed £72.95
1 x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SH103S3/120G) £59.99
1 x SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £53.99
1 x Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 MicroATX Motherboard £49.99
1 x Corsair Hydro H60 V2 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler £49.99
1 x Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX24C11T3K2/8X) £45.95
Total : £653.24 (includes shipping : £17.85).

Any improvements or concerns?

Back
Top Bottom