• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU for 4k video editing?

Soldato
I am looking to put together a PC for 4k video editing from my camcorder as well as some light gaming.

Any ideas whats good to buy for putting a decent budget system together with overclocking in mind?

thanks!! :)

Soldato
What is your budget?

For video encoding purely you may want to consider an 8 Core AMD chip.

However, for video encoding + other things like gaming you want a HyperThreaded Intel chip.

Soldato
Well for under £300 for the CPU the best option is probably the i7 4770K - especially if you overclock it.

However, if your budget is high then the i7 4930K Ivy Bridge-E Hex core is more powerful, but very expensive at £426.

Edit: As Martini1991 says, a second-hand i7 3930K is a very good option for your particular use and budget, as its not much slower than the 4930k.

As for the other parts, I would recommend at least 16GB of DDR3 RAM, at least a 480/500GB SSD like the Samsung 840 Evo.

May I ask what software you use to edit videos? If you are using software that can use GPU power, then getting a suitable GPU would be useful.

Soldato
OP
Well for under £300 for the CPU the best option is probably the i7 4770K - especially if you overclock it.

However, if your budget is high then the i7 4930K Ivy Bridge-E Hex core is more powerful, but very expensive at £426.

As for the other parts, I would recommend at least 16GB of DDR3 RAM, at least a 480/500GB SSD like the Samsung 840 Evo.

May I ask what software you use to edit videos? If you are using software that can use GPU power, then getting a suitable GPU would be useful.

Well I am just learning to be honest, but plan to use Sony Vegas, unless something else allows for faster speeds? :)

Soldato
In that case, you just need a decent card which uses OpenCL (which all modern AMD and Nvidia cards do).

Of the ones available I would suggest the R9 280X, as it's a fast cards with lots of video memory, plenty of bandwidth and a lot of GPU grunt. It also runs modern games very nicely. If you want to spend a bit less then the R9 280 (non-X) is a slightly stripped down version of the 280X, but with the same memory.

Soldato
OP
Dont AMD do decent cheaper CPU`s that overclocked can match the performance of Intel? Am sure AMD do 6 or 8 cores cheaper dont they? that would work well for light gaming and video editing?

Soldato
Oh, they certainly do CPUs that can overclock well - however even then they don't seem to be any faster than the high-end intel options.

For example the AMD FX-9590 is a Piledriver 8 core 140W CPU clocked at 4.7GHz (5.0GHz turbo) and costs £222. It is effectively an FX 8300 CPU which was tested by AMD to be a good one and clocked much higher and given a new name.

The reviews show that at stock speeds the FX-9570 is a bit slower than the i7 4770K at stock speeds (see here for the cinebench test) and can't overclock very well (5GHz if you are lucky and have very good cooling). In contrast the i7 4770K regularly overclocks from 3.5GHz stock to 4.5GHz - so it can therefore soundly beat an overclocked FX 9570.

If you do plan to do 4K video editing then get the best CPU you can afford. If you can only afford an AMD FX-6300 then that is the best CPU to buy. However, if you can afford a K series i5 or better then its Intel you want to stick with- since the 4K video editing will eat up as much CPU power as you can give it.

Caporegime
Dont AMD do decent cheaper CPU`s that overclocked can match the performance of Intel? Am sure AMD do 6 or 8 cores cheaper dont they? that would work well for light gaming and video editing?

We're talking 4K video editing.

While the FX83's can be better in editing software than the i5's, the i7's are a different story, but even the traditional 4 core 8 thread i7's aren't going to be great, you want the monster 6 core 12 threads, which the AMD's can't touch.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
We're talking 4K video editing.

While the FX83's can be better in editing software than the i5's, the i7's are a different story, but even the traditional 4 core 8 thread i7's aren't going to be great, you want the monster 6 core 12 threads, which the AMD's can't touch.

+1

Soldato
If you're going to be exporting into the h.264 codec get a new i7 CPU. They feature QuickSync which significantly speeds up transcoding. You'll also want AMD GPU's for OpenCL compute and rendering.

In Fairness, Sony Vegas isn't all that fast compared to Premiere, and FCPX for 4K and OpenCL.

Get the best i7 you can and some decent GPU's, and the only bottleneck Will be your storage. For 4K you want at least around 450MB/s for working with raw footage otherwise you'll be skipping and dropping frames during editing, which makes it extremely annoying to work with.

In Fact your storage will be a much larger factor sometimes, and SSD's or large RAID 5/6 arrays are needed.
Remember UHD/4K raw footage is absolutely massive compared to 1080p.

Looking at a 24:57 minute ProRess 4444 file here, it's 56.45GB in size at 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom