Which 2560x1440 at 27"?

Soldato
I did appreciate your BenQ BL2711PT review so can't wait for the review of this AOC as I'm hesitating between the both. They are both rather new monitors and the feed back is still limited but from the few reviews I read they seem to me about on par. I found however a Dutch review comparing the both and giving a clear lead to the BenQ on responsiveness.
You mentioned on the negative side for the BenQ, poor quality of interpolation. I imagine it is poor for most monitors of this category or is BenQ being far worse and how would the AOC stand ?

That's good to hear. This is why I find subjective assessment so important, or at least a consideration for what your eyes actually see vs. measured values. In practice the biggest 'barrier' for the responsiveness of both models is the 60Hz refresh rate. As noted on the BenQ review this is really the cause of the majority of blur you see. I am only just moving onto testing the responsiveness of the AOC properly (this is ongoing, the last thing I look at and something I will complete by the weekend) but to me the responsiveness looks and feels very similar to the BenQ and I think you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference. Maybe more specific testing will reveal some weaknesses but I'm not sure.

As for the interpolation it's very similar on both monitors. It isn't a fault of either monitor but rather the process itself of scaling 1920 x 1080 to a 2560 x 1440 display. There is always going to be some loss of sharpness, giving a softer look than even a native 1920 x 1080 image.

Associate
... I am only just moving onto testing the responsiveness of the AOC properly (this is ongoing, the last thing I look at and something I will complete by the weekend)...

I just read your review from the AOC q2770Pqu you published yesterday and all this comfort me in my idea both this monitor and Benq BL2710PT are really very good quality for a reasonable price and it is hard to give a clear preference.

One would give a closer consideration to other side characteristics than the screen itself and too often neglected like:
The stand: they both seem to be as adjustable as one would like.
A user-friendly OSD: I like the physical buttons of the AOC but not sure you can spot them easily in a half-dark room. I like the glowing buttons of the Benq when I blame every day my 24" for its no-light touch-sensitive pads.

Looking at your reviews of both, as far as I understand you give a slight advantage to the Benq in terms of responsiveness when you consider this is hardly appreciable in real conditions, while the AOC would be a bit better (less bad...) with interpolation.

I don't know if you have anything to add when it is to compare the both. Thanks again for those reviews anyway, they were greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I just read your review from the AOC q2770Pqu you published yesterday and all this comfort me in my idea both this monitor and Benq BL2710PT are really very good quality for a reasonable price and it is hard to give a clear preference.

One would give a closer consideration to other side characteristics than the screen itself and too often neglected like:
The stand: they both seem to be as adjustable as one would like.
A user-friendly OSD: I like the physical buttons of the AOC but not sure you can spot them easily in a half-dark room. I like the glowing buttons of the Benq when I blame every day my 24" for its no-light touch-sensitive pads.

Looking at your reviews of both, as far as I understand you give a slight advantage to the Benq in terms of responsiveness when you consider this is hardly appreciable in real conditions, while the AOC would be a bit better (less bad...) with interpolation.

I don't know if you have anything to add when it is to compare the both. Thanks again for those reviews anyway, they were greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you liked the reviews. I agree that the BenQ has some design advantages (the illuminated controls are certainly more dark-room friendly as you say). I usually comment on this sort of thing on reviews as it can be a bit annoying on some monitors, but I didn't find it problematic on the AOC. I found the buttons spaced out nicely making it quite easy to 'feel' the right one in the dark. I am very used to AOC's navigation though so maybe other users would find it more challenging.

In terms of overall build quality it's hard to separate them both. I really like the robust stand design of both and don't think you'd have any complaints with either in that department. And your assessment of the responsiveness is correct - technically a bit better on the BenQ, something I doubt most users would notice in practice though. The only thing I felt really stood out for me on the AOC above the BenQ, other than price, is the handling of non-native resolutions (1920 x 1080). I've never seen a WQHD model display 1080p as well as the AOC and in stark contrast the BenQ handles it very badly (below average).

Soldato
I have the AOC q2770Pqu and it's a fantastic screen. I also have a Dell 2713HM and rate the AOC higher than that. As PCM2 mentions above the AOC looks great at 1080p with my PS4 a nice sharp image compared to the Blurry mess of the Dell.

I have managed to get the AOC running at 2560x1440 with an 85Hz refresh rate using my 780Ti with no issues. Any higher and it goes out of range.

Really nice monitor for the money the stand is also very good and similar to the one on the Dell.

Can't type for toffee
Don
on UK site it's not shown....i need something for console.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-018-AO

i don't see HDMI :)

Typically the lower end 27" 2460*1440 monitors only have DVI.
Earlier on there were versions available with VGA, HDMI, Displayport you name it, downside was (iirc) by adding additional inputs and controllers it increased the lag.

I opted for a DVi only version, do remember tho a DVI > HDMI convertor would still be a digital signal, you'd need to check if the monitor has a scaler in it tho.

Associate
Thanks for the continued support for the AOC, can't wait to get one soon. Hope it displays well with HDMI, as my graphics card on DVI D only supports upto 1080p at the moment until I upgrade it.

Soldato
Another prospective owners questions

Will this do a 1:1 pixel map for 1080p with black bars around ?
[pcm2's review said this option was greyed out in the Extra section of OSD menu of his review monitor]

Does the HDMI input connection include sound ? or must this be input via 3.5mm
audio input.

Soldato
The HDMI input does channel sound, that's part of the specificaiton. On my unit there was no way to get any sort of 1:1 pixel mapping function to work on a PC with a GTX 780. The interpolation performance was so good that this isn't a loss in my opinion though.

Associate
Just ordered the AOC Q2770PQU, can anyone tell me if it comes with a display port cable in the box or will I need to get one? Many thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom