Building a Small Ac unit for my desk. Calling a sparky

Associate
Hi all,

Basically my idea is to use 2-3 120mm fans in some home made speaker style boxes to stick on my desk and help cool me during some long races in the summer months on Iracing.
The Pc is in a south facing room so as you can imagine few monitors a high end pc running all day the room gets quite hot.
So my project for this month build a nice little fan setup to sit on my desk to cool me. Building the boxes etc np, my step farther is a carpenter so we have constructed them.

I need help on how to link the 3 fans I was thinking something like this
Akasa FLEXA FP5S 5 Fan PWM Controller (AK-CBFA07-45)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-079-AK

By attaching all the fans to that cable then the Sata PART cutting it and attaching it to a mobile phone charger or some form of 12v charger. Now I know that part is possible but I'm not sure if the chargers I have are any good if not I don't mind buying one. Or does anyone know a better way to link pc fans to mains power.

Fans I will be using Zaward Golf III Fan http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-050-ZW
Been a while since i purchased some fans so not sure what the latest and greatest are. From a quick Google these are quite and move good airflow and under a tenner so will do me. My case is packed with Noctuas but there a bit overkill for this small project.

Cheers to anyone who can help me.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the tip mate, don't suppose you have a link to the sort of 12v transformer I would need and the rough costings of one. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on the build.

I was originally going to get a clip on desk fan. But thought as this is for the gaming room Ill do it with pc fans. Only thing I could think of to get power to them without using a PC psu (bit over kill) was to cut open one of many phone chargers I have in the cupboard and stick the fans onto the + and -

Soldato
Wouldn't a old power supply do,you could pick up a cheap one for £10,have you thought of using 200mm fans as well ?

You would want a fan controller as well if it was me,the whole lot shouldn't cost no more than £40....all second hand of course :)

Associate
OP
Ordered the fans already. Reason for 120mm is its a nice size and I can mount them much easier.

Reason for not using an old power supply as you talking 250-300 is the smallest I've seen and would pull quite a bit of electricity and I know how to do that already couple of molex to 3/4 pin pwm connector. Id also have to have a PSU mounted on the desk instead just another cable.

There maybe something i'm over looking and is why I asked here before I hack up a couple of brand new fans. The 3pin loop thingy is out of stock so ill be doing it without.

I was thinking running to molex converters then wiring those to the 12v adapter that way the fans can be changed and moved around easily instead of being hardwired to the mains.

Associate
The wall warts can be picked up really cheaply, the one i linked was £8, im sure you probably have one lying around that you never use, just chop the connector off and solder away :D

Associate
My mate has done a similar thing, using an old 12v, 1.5A, router plug, he even went as far as removing the female plug of the router and soldered it to the fan array, so he can just plug and play the fan box.

Associate
OP
As its been a wet weekend I've done a bit of digging and I've found this handy little external psu Made by Phobya external PSU 230V to 4Pin Molex 24 Watt including Euro/UK plug (so I'm guessing it should be half decent at least) Much cleaner than cutting cables and allows me to easily switch out the fan or power source if one dies.

I was then going to buy a 4Pin (12V) to 4x 3Pin Molex (12V)

Full spec for cable
Connectors:
1x 4-Pin molex
4x 3-Pin Molex

Full spec of External PSU
External PSU 230V to 4Pin Molex 24 Watt including Euro/UK plug

Technical specifications:
Power consumption: 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz 1.5A
Output connector: Standard 4Pin Power Connector 12V DC at up to 5A draw
Output power: (5V-12V): 10-24W
Connector: 4 Pin Molex
Transformer dimensions: (H x W x L): 30 x 45 x 110mm

Cable length:
Molex + Adaptor: 70cm
Plug side: 120cm each

Conforms with RoHS
Fulfils CE requirements

Extent of delivery:
Phobya power adaptor 230V to 4Pin Molex incl. Euro and UK plug
Twisted 4Pin Molex cable

Note regarding twisted 4-Pin Molex cable: To get 5V instead of 12V on a standard connector, insert this twisted cable in between the power adaptor and connected device.

Anyone see any issue with this and my fans. Before I order it all cheers. I see the psu outputs at 10-24watts my fans will be drawing about 3 max I guess this going to be an issue ?

Back
Top Bottom