• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil Whine / Capacitor Squeal

Sgarrista
Commissario
Im sick of coil whine!

Ive just got through a 3rd batch of 6 cards (290x's) from the rainforest guys looking for a pair of cards with no coil whine, and finally! An MSI card with no whine huzzah.

Add that onto the pair from OcUK, currently have a success rate of 1 in 20 cards of having no coil whine. :(

I really wish manufacturers would seriously work out a fix for it, because its extremely annoying...

Man of Honour
Guess I've been lucky but never had any real level of coil whine with any of my cards aside from when rendering >200fps.

If you know what your doing a blob of hot glue in the right place can often minimise noticeable coil whine.

Associate
I've only had my MSI R9 290 11 days and i can't take the coil whine any more.

Is this a common problem with AMD cards now, or just my model?

Caporegime
its common,motherboard/make model and psu make/model can affect coil whine aswell,sometimes its louder/quieter

if its annoyingly loud rma it or run heaven benchmark on a loop overnight,sometimes it gets quieter with use

Man of Honour
I've only had my MSI R9 290 11 days and i can't take the coil whine any more.

Is this a common problem with AMD cards now, or just my model?

Can happen with any make often as wazza said certain combinations of PSU and GPU can make it more noticeable.

TBH incidentally I'd say it happens more often with AMD cards but again that kind of thing is something I'm generally only aware of when things do go wrong.

Associate
I ll give the heaven benchmark loop a go and see if that fixes it as I don't want to go down the RMA route if it can be helped.

Definitely seems to be at its worst on the high FPS menus and benchmarks but a small buzz when in more strenuous games.

In terms of mobo combo. I would hope an MSI card in an MSI (gaming 5 z97) mobo wouldnt have an issue. :)

Associate
Ive just got through a 3rd batch of 6 cards (290x's) from the rainforest guys looking for a pair of cards with no coil whine, and finally! An MSI card with no whine huzzah.

Add that onto the pair from OcUK, currently have a success rate of 1 in 20 cards of having no coil whine. :(

I really wish manufacturers would seriously work out a fix for it, because its extremely annoying...

weirdly enough a lot of ppl solved the whinne by getting a better PSU, what PSU do you have ?

Soldato
Am also very lucky never had whine.

Xfx 7950s ran superb and now msi 290s running very good.

Before that I couldn't tell you because coil whine was something I never heard of till i joined here.

Caporegime
Stick computer in a different room to monitors/keyboard, with some extension cables and boom, all noise gone.

Currently playing a game with 2x290's with fan turned way up so overclock can be higher... and I can't hear them. Rather than pray you get a card with no noise, put the computer somewhere you can't hear it ;)

Soldato
I've been lucky and not had a coil whine issue (thank god, even worse of a problem being on water). Customers PC at work the other day had horrible whine from a 280 though, think that was the crappy PSU that was in it.

What PSU are you running?

Associate
Stick computer in a different room to monitors/keyboard, with some extension cables and boom, all noise gone.

Currently playing a game with 2x290's with fan turned way up so overclock can be higher... and I can't hear them. Rather than pray you get a card with no noise, put the computer somewhere you can't hear it ;)

I did just that and put a computer under a desk. The fan noise and whine was way better !!!!

Soldato
If your GPU has 2 8 pin connectors make sure you connect from 2 seperate ports from tha back of the PSU, this will cure coil whine in many cases where you don't use a spliter cable from the PSU.

Coil whine does alleviate with time. This cured my 7990 whine. If you only have one connector into your GPU try a different rail from the PSU and one that only supplies the GPU.

Associate
clear nail varnish works :p may void warranty...

Be very wary using nail varnish as it can contain acetone which may melt the insulation on the coil windings.

As already stated, hot melt glue works well, this is what used to be used on old TV's with their old cathode ray tubes and scanning coils to silence them.
And you think the whine from a small inductor is bad!!!

Back
Top Bottom