Windows clock gone mad?

Associate
I'm hoping it's not the CMOS battery, my MOBO is only 3 months old. I've tried different time servers but this didn't help. It seems to work fine for a while then goes back and starts again. virus? It can't be the battery if updating windows time makes it work.

Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz

ASUS/Z87-A

PHANTEKS U-TYPE PH-TC12DX with 2 fans

8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133MHz

MSI GTX 770 Overclocked, 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1072MHz, Boost 1124MHz, 1536 Cores

HannsG hd281 28 inch Monitor

CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus PSU

Coolermaster Cosmos S Ultra Performance Aluminium Chassis with 5 LED 120mm fans

Windows 8.1, 64bit ultimate

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is a bug in Java that can cause the Windows internal timer to drift or become confused causing oddities with the Windows clock - early builds of Minecraft amongst other software that use Java used to cause it.

Associate
OP
I tried un-installing java but nothing changed, thanks.

There is a bug in Java that can cause the Windows internal timer to drift or become confused causing oddities with the Windows clock - early builds of Minecraft amongst other software that use Java used to cause it.

Soldato
Probably not the cause, but a potential fix. Are you using a time server? If so, perhaps change it? If not, it might correct the time for you.

Clock > Change date and time settings > Internet time > Change settings > tick Syncronise with an Internet time server > choose a server (I use uk.pool.ntp.org) > Update now.

Associate
OP
I've tried a few different time servers, it fixes it for a while. Sometime it gives me an error saying it cannot connect to time server but still corrects the time, weird.

Probably not the cause, but a potential fix. Are you using a time server? If so, perhaps change it? If not, it might correct the time for you.

Clock > Change date and time settings > Internet time > Change settings > tick Syncronise with an Internet time server > choose a server (I use uk.pool.ntp.org) > Update now.

Associate
Have you actually said what is happening to your clock? Maybe I missed it...

I had a problem with an Intel ITX motherboard where the clock would drift further and further back - in the end I had to replace the motherboard, which fixed the problem!

Associate
OP
As the title says, it's gone mad, there seems to be no pattern to it, it stops, jumps back a hour or two, stops when it's off, keeps going when it's off. The mobo is only 3 months old so I'm hoping it's not the battery, even though that would be a very simple fix, I don't want to have to O/C my CPU and Ram again.

Have you actually said what is happening to your clock? Maybe I missed it...

I had a problem with an Intel ITX motherboard where the clock would drift further and further back - in the end I had to replace the motherboard, which fixed the problem!

Associate
As the title says, it's gone mad, there seems to be no pattern to it, it stops, jumps back a hour or two, stops when it's off, keeps going when it's off. The mobo is only 3 months old so I'm hoping it's not the battery, even though that would be a very simple fix, I don't want to have to O/C my CPU and Ram again.

It sounds like you need a new motherboard. I very much doubt it's the battery, although if you have easy access to another battery it's probably worth trying.

Associate
Oddly enough this has been happening to me also.

My build is about a month old, when it was first built everything seemed to fine, then one day I noticed the clocks had started messing up. However for some reason when the clock changes, the internet 'breaks' requiring me to reset the adapter each time. Pretty annoying having the internet die every hour or so.

Specs:
Asus Maximus VII
i7 4770k
GTX 780
250Gb Samsung SSD 840 EVO
8Gb DDR3 Ram
Seasonic M12ii 850w bronze PSU
2TB HDD

Coincidentally the first time I noticed it happen was when I installed uPlay and played Watch Dogs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom