Can anyone help with an unusual problem?

Soldato
I use a program called DayzComander as an alternative to the in-game server browser for DayZ/Arma 2 that causes me a few problems.

Basically when refreshing the server list it pretty much kills my internet and i have to reboot my Virgin Superhub and PC to get it working it again. The problem is explained on the DayzComander website;

DayZCommander puts performance first, but this can wreak havoc on older routers. Luckily, you have a couple of options to make things better.

Simplified technical details: Your router has a NAT table that caches each individual endpoint (IP:port). Pinging each one of the DayZ servers results in an entry added to that cache. Some routers have smaller tables than others, and when they get filled up, don't allow new endpoints to be used until the existing ones clear up. Newer/better routers have a much larger cache and are way less likely to see this problem.

If i use my old(ish) Asus router the problem isn't quite as bad, the problem usually sorts itself once the server refresh is complete. I dont like using this router though because it only goes up to 100mbps so i lose quite a lot of performance on my 152mb line.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get solve this problem i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Caporegime
I'm not sure what you want people to tell you. You use the Virgin Media Hub as a router and it falls over, you use a second router you have and it's slow. You've diagnosed the issue by swapping out the kit that is unreliable, what did you expect to be able to change to resolve the issue if it wasn't the router?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what you want people to tell you. You use the Virgin Media Hub as a router and it falls over, you use a second router you have and it's slow. You've diagnosed the issue by swapping out the kit that is unreliable, what did you expect to be able to change to resolve the issue if it wasn't the router?

Ok, sorry I asked.

Since I know squat about routers I thought there might be settings I could change to help with the problem. Now i know there isn't.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Any modern router would sort you out, I'm sure you could pick something up for £50 or so.

Associate
This is symptoms of what MAC flooding does, over load the table and kills the router, same principle as to how DoS attacks works.

You could get say a TP Link WDR3600 (5 quid) and stick DDWRT/OpenWrt which will give you more flexibility, as you are trying to run a heavy connection based server from home, and obviously home routers are not designed for this service.

Back
Top Bottom