New Build.

Associate
Hey guy's, I currently have a rough idea for a new build going on in my mind. Those currently I'm struggling to find the right board for me, so I'm hoping you could give some advice on the right area to go to.

The build is being used 90% for gaming an the other 10% will be just you're casual surfing of the web. I am currently looking at these two boards.

Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

What sort of spec's do I need to be looking out for? Or if anyone else has any more advice that'll be great.

OcUK Staff
What GPU, CPU Overclocking potential RAM etc etc multi GPU, PSU you need to be more specific and its easier to direct.

Both of those boards are very good in there price brackets. If I was you though I would go with a Z97 chipset board as these offer more features and better value. Both of the boards you mention come in Z97 Variants anyway.

Associate
OP
Asus Maximus VII Formula Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

So am I right in assuming that this MOBO is a better option than the one I had mentioned previously (I'm sure it's same price too?)

CASE - Corsair 750D
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5
CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
PSU - Corsair Professional Series AX 760W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply

That was the rough idea I have in my mind, I'd like to over clock the CPU to around 4.5-5Ghz and go multi GPU about 1 or 2 year's down the line maybe?

I also don't know what monitor to be looking at with this setup. 1440p? 1080p? ms?

Soldato
Animality22 said:
The build is being used 90% for gaming an the other 10% will be just you're casual surfing of the web.
If that is the case, I would just get a Z97 motherboard around the £100 mark, any of them will be decent for gaming.

If you're going ASUS then check out the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, it will easily clock your CPU to 4.6GHz+, cooling will be the issue before the motherboard is stressed out, any 8 phase mobo will do the job fine.

With the money saved you would be half way to buying another GTX 970 for SLI which would be a better option, or more funds to a quality monitor than paying for a premium motherboard like the Asus Maximus VII Formula.

That's my opinion anyway.
Animality22 said:
I also don't know what monitor to be looking at with this setup. 1440p? 1080p? ms?
Depends what your budget is, have you used TN panel monitors before? If you don't mind using one, I would look at a G-Sync capable one to take advantage of the GTX 970's capabilities.

For better colours you could look at a VA type, or IPS panel they have better colours, better black, but as yet none are G-Sync capable. They also have better viewing angles.

EDIT: You would get more attention/advice in the "General Disccusion" section of the forums, lots of people will give you advice in there, maybe get a moderator to move the thread there?

Last edited:
Soldato
Animality22 said:
Is there anything I should be looking at in particular when it comes to boards?
These are the boards I would look at, all capable of SLI, which would be handy for you in the future.

ASRock >> ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - £106.99 inc VAT

Asus >> Maximus VII Ranger - £129.95 inc VAT

Gigabyte >> Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H - £106.99 inc VAT / Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK - £129.95 inc VAT

MSI >> Z97 MPower - £134.99 inc VAT

Gigabyte have UK warranty, so you can return direct to them for quick turnaround if you wanted to.

After that it's down to MSI >> ASRock >> Asus in terms of warranty, but if you buy from OcUK they will look after you if any problems occur, Asus are bad, but worse case scenario around 28 days if you got it from OcUK.

Back
Top Bottom