Credit Rating - Electoral Roll

Man of Honour
So I'm looking at my credit report on Noddle and noticed that it says "not present on edited roll" which is correct in the fact that whilst I am registered to vote, I opted out of the edited register.

Do lenders only look at the edited roll or do they have access to the unedited roll? I was under the impression that it was the latter but I may opt back in if this is detrimental to my credit rating.

Anyone know?

Man of Honour
I've got a letter in front of me which was sent to say that the way one registers to vote is changing. This appears to suggest that the unedited register (electoral register) is used for registering to vote, jury service, credit applications (+ a few other limited purposes) and the edited register (open register) is the one that can be bought by businesses to confirm name/address details.

That suggests that you shouldn't need to be on the open register if I'm reading it right.

Soldato
I've got a letter in front of me which was sent to say that the way one registers to vote is changing. This appears to suggest that the unedited register (electoral register) is used for registering to vote, jury service, credit applications (+ a few other limited purposes) and the edited register (open register) is the one that can be bought by businesses to confirm name/address details.

That suggests that you shouldn't need to be on the open register if I'm reading it right.

This. Thats my understanding too

Soldato
One is sold to telemarketers etc and is available for every tom dick n harry and the other is used by official sources. Being on the unedited wont effect your credit rating

Man of Honour
OP

Excellent, thanks for that SPW, you're a star :)

Caporegime
Being on the unedited electrol roll changed my credit rating fairly significantly according to Noddle. My rating went up a fair amount when I added myself to the roll after moving (the unedited only).

Soldato
Being on the edited roll does NOT affect credit rating. Credit companies use Experian/EquiFax/Call Credit etc to verify details and they have your details of electoral roll regardless if you have opted out of the unedited one.

Back
Top Bottom