Loft bathroom extractor fan

Soldato
Hi,

I'm not much of a DIY person, so this is my first venture in here, I hope someone can help :).
We've just had a loft extension built which has an ensuite bathroom (with velux window). There is an extractor fan in the ceiling of the bathroom, and they have just installed the plastic mushroom vent (something similar to this) that is fitted onto the roof. They drilled a hole through the roof and insulation for it, but after checking, it does not appear that they attached any ducting from the fan to the hole at the bottom of the insulation layer in the roof, where the mushroom vent is (I hope you can follow this). There is about an 8 inch gap from the extractor fan to the hole through the roof, which is directly above. Should there be ducting so that the moist warm air is feed up to the hole, or will it be sucked up and through by the outside wind blowing past the ventilation chimney on the roof??
Thanks.

Soldato
There should be
a) waterproofing on the roof to ensure that no water running down the roof comes in.
b) a condensation trap above the motor/fan so that any condensation/water running down the vertical pipe gets collected and drained off - usually a pipe that goes outside the eaves so that the condensation drips harmlessly to the ground below (like a water overflow pipe).
c) the pipe should be connected without a hole in the pipe from the inner vent, to the fan, from the fan to the roof vent. Normally those are sealed tight using tubing clamps (plastic or metal).

Usually the warm moist air should be vented direct to the outside without being able to condense in the roof (which can lead to lots of issues).

Back
Top Bottom