• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX970 Will Not Go Past Bios

Associate
Just upgraded to a Gigabyte G1 GTX970 and it will not boot past bios.

Have the Gigabyte Z68 UD3P motherboard. Running i7 2500k. 1000 watt EVGA power supply.

Board runs fine with R9 280X.

This board does not have a newer bios than the Uefi one from 2013 so cant update it.

On boot up the card hangs on bios screen or just white cursor in corner. Have reset bios to defaults and pulling hair out now.

Does it look like I need a newer motherboard. if so the GTX970 is going back.

Associate
OP
Cant go back to the award bios as far as I am aware. Warning about it once you do it I think.

Have cleared CMOS as well. Will add that after doing this the UEFI screen comes up and is displayed, then hangs.

Asked Gigabyte for help and its been a while waiting.

Last edited:
Soldato
the UEFI bios is a beta and a bit of searching reveals a lot of problems with it, you might be better off going back to the F7 non-uefi bios - it is just a bios update, there shouldn't be a problem using a correct bios for the board

failing that, you could try emailing Gigabyte tech support, as they are both gigabyte products they should have a rough idea of how to help

Caporegime
you can,but I don't know how to do it,ill ask stasio he will know

I would email gigabyte though and see what they say

EDIT: how did you clear cmos? try leaving cmos battery out a good 10-15 minutes

Last edited:
Associate
OP
you can,but I don't know how to do it,ill ask stasio he will know

I would email gigabyte though and see what they say

EDIT: how did you clear cmos? try leaving cmos battery out a good 10-15 minutes

Did battery one, but will try again.

Weird that before the CMOS clear it wouldn't show the bios. After it went to the UEFI splash screen then froze. Its a bios issue and don't think Gigabyte will release a fix for an old board.

Not buying new board and chip. Was going to get a 295X2 card, and maybe just do that instead.

Soldato
I successfully flashed my Gigabyte z68 board from UEFI back to the Bios and the process wasn't too difficult.

A Z77 board would be a good idea. Gigabyte's low end stuff during Z68 was pretty awful and good Z77 boards do not cost an arm and a leg anymore.

Associate
OP
Solved the problem.

PCI in the Bios was on the Efi rom setting.

Changed to Legacy rom and card fired up perfect.

Thank ****.

Back
Top Bottom