Poll: Would you pay for an ad-free Internet?

Would you pay for Ad-free internet?

• Yes

Votes: 71 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 197 73.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I understand some sites need a revenue stream, it just seems ironic to me that Google have been responsible for plastering the web is crappy ads and now have the bare faced cheek to suggest if we subscribe to Google for £2 a month we wont have to look at the ads they put there in the first place... Genius :D

Soldato
I would not pay as I use add block.

But saying that I do get annoyed by adds on my galaxy tab s. I use chrome and occasionally get adds filling up half the page I'm on. Not sure what to do as I don't think I can get add block on this device?

Man of Honour
To those people saying "no i just use adblock", you're kinda missing the point.

Would you pay for adblock?

I'd pay for an ad blocking service instead - sometimes, just sometimes, having an ad or two can help inspire ideas.

Yup, because sometimes I may want to see an ad, I want to choose when I see them, not have to see them. :)

Soldato
I have a NY Times subscription and I think i get my money's worth, given the content they offer. I give something, they give something - the trade is fair.

If I pay Google £2 per month, what do I get in return? Bugger all. It sounds like a protection tax criminals enforce, "Give me the money and no one bothers you.." .

No, the ads on Google don't bother me, in fact I often find them helpful.

Agreed, I like the Google ads as well as they're clearly marked and don't get in the way and I've followed some of them through. Pop-up ads on the other hand were the bane of the internet back in web 1.0. Thankfully they became a thing in the past in 2002 thanks to Mozilla (or in 2006 if you're an Internet Exploder fanboy).

Soldato
To those people saying "no i just use adblock", you're kinda missing the point.

Would you pay for adblock?

depends, I probably would but not much. ill admit though if some of the revenue went to content creators (eg youtubers) i'd be much more willing. paying money into Google/yt's pocket im less happy with

Associate
Normal web page ads don't really bother me unless they're in your face. Can't say the same for video ads. So annoying being forced to watch a 30 second ad and I just choose not to watch the video altogether. Have ABP installed just for that. Wouldn't pay just so I can watch ad free Cat videos on YT that should be put in the trash anyway.

Associate
I see websites do that fairly often. They have a message where the ad is along the lines of "Consider turning off ABP to support us". I can't help but oblige if they're smart about it.

seen a few of these recently, the first I turned off the blocker and used the site's content but it was a very specific item I was looking for. The second was a random search for something non critical and I just went to another site.

My thinking is that there are more than one supplier of information on the internet so if one wants to make it hard for me, I'll go elsewhere.

Soldato
I've noticed that Youtube adverts have increased substantially over the last few months, when listening to it round house parties and such and now they introduce this. Co-incidence? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom