Walder's dry-cured English ham - a step by step log!

Associate
OP
Please don't feed to your cat, some of the ingredients in your cure are toxic to them :(

I was actually joking anyway guys (I know it didn't come across as a joke), I'm sure the ham will be fine but I would never use my cats to test out something.g potentially harmful!
I'm in no rush to eat it so might give it another month or two until I try it anyway.

I didn't realise garlic was bad for cats - with noting so thanks for letting me know!

Associate
OP
Interesting - I wasn't aware that it was anywhere near as bad as it seems to be based on my quick googling just now :eek:

Me neither, I treat my cats a bit like dogs in that they get leftover scraps of dinner which they love (only bits of meat really as you know, cats don't show interest in many vegetables etc!) - they have certainly eaten things with garlic in before, neither of them have ever been ill and actually they are both extremely healthy. That said I shall look into it and be more careful in future if necessary!

Man of Honour
Me neither, I treat my cats a bit like dogs in that they get leftover scraps of dinner which they love (only bits of meat really as you know, cats don't show interest in many vegetables etc!) - they have certainly eaten things with garlic in before, neither of them have ever been ill and actually they are both extremely healthy. That said I shall look into it and be more careful in future if necessary!

Similar with my cats - they sometimes get scraps of meals I cook... and I tend to cook with a lot of garlic.

Anyhow, back on topic, I'm looking forward to hear about how your ham turns out :)

Associate
OP
**IMPORTANT HAM RELATED UPDATE!!**

So I bet all of you never thought you would hear from me again!

Well I decided to try the ham last night and all is well, VERY well actually!
I have had it in a box in the fridge for the past 6 months or so to try quell the mould that grows on the outside. I took it out the box and washed it down with a fresh pan scourer/sponge and cold water. Once all the mould was gently scrubbed off I left it to dry for a few hours. I then sliced into it...

KTH7vBbl.jpg

3HQKYfzl.jpg

mAPZC80l.jpg

7cqJ1Z1l.jpg

Certainly looks the part! The texture is perfect, sort of jammy and not too dry, nice and chewy but not tough. The flavour is actually amazing - better than I can ever have hoped, real depth of flavour with garlic and juniper definitely noticeable. It's very much like a Serrano ham but without blowing my own trumpet too loud it's much nicer than many Spanish hams I have tried! It's now 8 months old so I think waiting has really paid off...

So I say go ahead and give it a go if you have the patience!

Back
Top Bottom