Any tips for riding to work with business dress code?

Soldato
I'm using my bike again for my daily commute into the centre of Leicester (saves me 20 mins each way and £5 a day parking).

I'm in a teaching position where I have to wear the usual trousers, shirt and tie etc. I would rather not have to get changed completely when I get to work and I currently have over trousers bike gear for the winter. The problem is though that they tend to make my trousers looked creased.

Anyone else have similar dress code?

As always, any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Wear textile trousers and roll, don't fold, your suit trousers into backpack. Change at work. Thats what I do (although admittedly I wear jeans not suit trousers, but the rolling method should keep them crease free

Caporegime
can you get away with smart cargo pants for work?

is so have a look at a pair of black jhon doe kamakazi kevlar pants.

warm water proof and comfy an smart for the rest of the day off the bike.

Man of Honour
Wear textile trousers and roll, don't fold, your suit trousers into backpack. Change at work. Thats what I do (although admittedly I wear jeans not suit trousers, but the rolling method should keep them crease free

This is what I do.
Textile trousers, t shirt and textile jacket on the bike and my shirt and trousers rolled up in my backpack and change when I arrive.
Much nicer than riding in something you're going to be wearing all day.

Soldato
OP
I have textile trousers with armoured knee pads which fit over the top of my trousers. It's a bit of a ball ache getting changed at work though, hence the post.

can you get away with smart cargo pants for work?

is so have a look at a pair of black jhon doe kamakazi kevlar pants.

warm water proof and comfy an smart for the rest of the day off the bike.
I have some kevlar lined jeans, which I used to wear in a previous job. I wouldn't get away with the cargo pants unfortunately!

I get dressed at work, I wear full leathers. My safety comes first so I wear the right kit.
My safety comes first also. Why are full leathers the only option?

This is what I do.
Textile trousers, t shirt and textile jacket on the bike and my shirt and trousers rolled up in my backpack and change when I arrive.
Much nicer than riding in something you're going to be wearing all day.
It's only the trousers which are a problem. My shirt and tie still look fine once I'm out of my gear.

I was hoping someone could suggest some crease free trousers.

Guess I need to think again!

Don
I leave a suit in the office and get changed when I get there. I take it home on a Friday and replace it with a clean one on Monday.
When I ride to a customer site I do the roll method as above, but in my top box. Most customers don't bat an eyelid when I ask to use a bathroom to get changed in to my suit.

Caporegime
I commute in suit trousers under textiles and have never had a problem with them looking massively creased or untidy. I just bought some charcoal suit trousers from M&S and they still look good after a 30 min commute. Not sure why they'd be creased anyway apart from the back of the knee.

Also I'm not a sweaty mess so have no problems with freshness.

Associate
Drive to work on Monday, wearing your suit and bring 4 spare shirts to wear Tue-Fri.

Ride to work in whatever normal biking rig you wear and get change in the staff room/changing room/etc.

That's what I did when I used to bike to work.

Soldato
Shirt, Shoes and Trousers here. I get changed at work after having used the roll method. Although I leave my trousers at work all week and take in fresh shirts each day, Unless I make a mess of my trousers by spilling something on them. I also shower at work each morning but as that is not really a viable option for you this post is likely to be useless other than to highlight the fact most just get changed at work after rolling clothes.

Soldato
I'm supposed to get changed at work, but I got tired of having to stand on a pee-soaked floor every day (seriously, why can't blokes anywhere pee straight, or even use a urinal??!!), so I stay in leathers all day.
I'm now getting told off for it, though... :(

Another option is Draggin' Jeans, as they also offer a 'Chino' type pair of kevlar trousers.

Soldato
OP
I have the Kevlar lined jeans already, but I don't think they would work in trouser form because of the armour in the knees!

I think I might just have to buy a bigger rucksack and roll my trousers up. I have a wool suit and the trousers on that are really crease resistant, but they would be too warm for summer - can anyone recommend another material or type of trouser which doesn't crease much?

Soldato
I used to haver to wear a suit and had synthetic over trousers with kevlar and pads. Wear trousers with a high lycra content and they should look fine when you take off the over trousers.

Soldato
I'm using my bike again for my daily commute into the centre of Leicester (saves me 20 mins each way and £5 a day parking).

I'm in a teaching position where I have to wear the usual trousers, shirt and tie etc. I would rather not have to get changed completely when I get to work and I currently have over trousers bike gear for the winter. The problem is though that they tend to make my trousers looked creased.

Anyone else have similar dress code?

As always, any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oversuit? I use an aerostich textile oversuit (over smart trousers/shirt) which unzips (has zips on the insides of both legs) and comes off, rolls up and goes in the topbox in about 20 seconds. Another cheaper option is the Olympia Odyssey or Olympia Phantom (the model it replaced) suit.

Associate
Instead of using the roll method invest in an Eagle Creek - pack it folder? Use it to bring in several shirts/pants when cycling/motorcycling in. Best way of keeping your clothes crease free I've found.

Associate
I have the Kevlar lined jeans already, but I don't think they would work in trouser form because of the armour in the knees!

I think I might just have to buy a bigger rucksack and roll my trousers up. I have a wool suit and the trousers on that are really crease resistant, but they would be too warm for summer - can anyone recommend another material or type of trouser which doesn't crease much?

I used to wear M & S comfy fit chino type trousers, they roll and unroll nicely and if you press them slighty damp they stay crease free for days and work with a shirt and tie nicely...ffs feeling a bit long in the tooth now! if you carry a shirt get one of the luggage doofers to put the shirt in folded properly in the bag as that helps!

Back
Top Bottom