Results of fitting a 17% Pulley to a Cooper S R53

Soldato
Apparently 194 WHP = around 223 BHP at the crank on a mini.
Now it is a little quicker than a JCW version.

dyno-863x1024.jpg

Caporegime
Does 17% also need a new intercooler and better injectors? At the moment an R53 is top of my list for next fun/track car, but I've been looking at pullies and found that 15% is about the limit with everything else standard.

Soldato
OP
Just from a new pulley you have gained 53 HP over stock?

Well mine is supposed to be 163 at stock. However apparently there can be a fair bit of variation, with some engines being well over their rated spec. Most are in the 170-175 range I believe.

To list my full specs.
-17% pulley
-Airtec intercooler - Apparently not strictly needed with a 17%. If charge temps get to hot, the engine cut's the power. Not really an issue for only a couple of runs of a rolling road.
-Home made hybrid airbox
-Everything else is stock.

Caporegime
Pretty decent yield!

Those guys at 1320 Mini are excellent, really know their stuff and aren't afraid to go the extra mile.

Out of curiosity, what year is your Mini? And how much did this set you back?

I'm probably going to grab another S in the next year or so, this is certainly worth looking in to.

Soldato
OP
Pretty decent yield!

Those guys at 1320 Mini are excellent, really know their stuff and aren't afraid to go the extra mile.

Out of curiosity, what year is your Mini? And how much did this set you back?

I'm probably going to grab another S in the next year or so, this is certainly worth looking in to.

It's a 2003.
Intercooler was £375 inc snoot boots and delivery.
Everything else inc fitting airbox/intercooler and dyno'ing was £390.
£765 in total

Would be a cheap upgrade if I hadn't bought the intercooler, but I'm glad I did as I don't have to worry about charge temps. I didn't want the 15% pulley, as I would always wonder what power the 17% would have produced.

Last edited:
Caporegime
More complex than I fort! :p

I wondered why I'd never heard of this for the likes of a ford ST or something. But then I always thought the Cooper S had a turbo. Shows how much I know!

Clarkey Warkey.

The new ones do. It was only the first generation of the BMW Mini that had a Supercharger.

Back
Top Bottom