Sir ulli or some other fact finder, Answer this one.

Associate
Is it true that their are more stars / galaxies our their than their are grains of sand on earth.

If this is correct and you said the law of probability is one star in every 1 billion has a solar system similar to ours with several planets at varying distances from the sun.

Then i wonder how many trillion solar systems are out there?

Apart from making you realise the massiveness of space it also makes you wonder just how likely life is to exist,

Of course on the flip side of all this, is that if you then take into account the speed of light, even radio waves that we are intercepting and crunchiing.

It does not take an einstein to realise that the needle in our haystick is but a pin ***** in the milkeyway.

:eek:

Associate
just a Babel Fish translation

question: how many Stars are in our Universe

Answer:One can hardly say that: However in our own galaxy it gives more than 100 billion stars and in the visible universe should it perhaps 100 to billion galaxies give, whereby some surely smaller, others are larger than the Milky Way. A completely rough estimation would be thus 100 billion time 100 billion stars - inconceivably much (ds/2. July 2004)

that are many...

taken from here

maybe an UK side is also there for your answer.

Sir Ulli

Associate
Not too sure about the grains of sand bit - but there sure are a big lot of galaxys, each with a whole load of stars...

Try it yourself Drake Equation .

Most of the figures we/you can take reasonable guesses at.

The reall killer is the last q: 'How long does a technological (read RF emitting) civilization last'?

The universe has been around for what? 13-14 billion years? How long have us humans been using radio? 70 years? In terms of the age of the universe - approximately zero.

How long will we continue to broadcast? Try a (pessimistic) guess... e.g. As yet, we have no viable alternative energy source to fossil fuel - the traditional sources of which run out in 20-30 years. Perhaps that will be the beginning of the end. That would be 100-200 years.

Applied to the universe as a whole, it would make the chances of two or more concurrent technological civilizations damn near zero.

Even with optimistic civilization lifetimes, concurrent civilizations are few.

Associate
How about the fact we're looking into the past. Some of the galxies hubble has seen so far away they are only a fraction of the age of our own. If we got a signal from one of them. Whats the chance that life still exists there?

Whats the chance of a conversation with another galaxy where the lag is (absolute guess) a million years?

The question for me is not does/has life existed anywhere else, which I think is a likelihood but how likely are we to spot a signal event from that life. People like us are boosting the likelihood of observing it but are we enough!:D

I havent done a setwu for 2 weeks now so I dont seem to be helping much:o

Back
Top Bottom