Chinese phones and innovation

Soldato
So I'm sat here, reading the gizchina article about the upcoming Chinese phones, now obviously they have a few cons like returns, no global support, having to import them and so on.

but one thing that strikes me big time is the fact that they(the small Chinese makers) seem to understand that battery life is VERY important.

now have a read of this -; http://www.gizchina.com/2015/06/03/7-big-battery-android-smartphones-for-mid-2015/

and IMO I'm actually questioning Samsung, LG etc, why are we not seeing this tech/innovation when it comes to global players in the mobile industry? - think Samsung, LG, Apple etc. All have joke-worthy battery capacities, what's stopping them from going big, say 5000mAh and so on? are they doing this for some hidden reason?

Tell me OCUK, what am I missing here? and what is your opinion on this. And Chinese phones in general.

Soldato
I don't know much about Chinese phones but I do agree that something needs to be done about battery life.
I've been thinking for a while that rather than giving phones bigger screens, faster processors etc they should be trying to improve battery life and putting massive capacity batteries in phones.

Soldato
It's a balance between volume, weight, mAh capacity, safety, cost and what users want. Samsung have to make billions a year so they probably have cost & safety as a primary while the others can be slightly less important. A chinese company might not have to hit strict controlling safety laws because they won't sell in certain regions for example and might sacrifice on some areas to get that capacity up.

Those devices don't have to pay for an Apple sized marketing drive don't get me wrong but they obviously made compromises to hit that price point eg the processor on them all.

Associate
I am an owner of a THL 5000t, bought on ebay brand new for £105. It's got dual sim and i know it's not as powerful as my nexus 5, but then i ask myself: Whats the point in having all that power if it only lasts 8h?

The 5000t is going strong. Heavy use lasts 2 days. :)

Soldato
OP
It's a balance between volume, weight, mAh capacity, safety, cost and what users want. Samsung have to make billions a year so they probably have cost & safety as a primary while the others can be slightly less important. A chinese company might not have to hit strict controlling safety laws because they won't sell in certain regions for example and might sacrifice on some areas to get that capacity up.

Those devices don't have to pay for an Apple sized marketing drive don't get me wrong but they obviously made compromises to hit that price point eg the processor on them all.

tbh, give me 2mm extra thickness and 1000mah and I'll be a happy boy ;) 2mm in hand/pocket don't make that much/any difference from my point of view.

users surely want good battery, it's quite obvious from the reviews, opinions etc.. I'd say it's one of the most important bits of the phone.

and I just can't see how 3k battery vs 5k is any safer? I have had powerbanks etc and not a single one has failed me in any way and those have 10kmah+ etc.

over-all I think good battery is a must on any new device, never mind devices with 2.4k batteries and 5.5 UHD screens with 810's in them! it's a joke :) if a device does not last a day for an average user then whats the point?

Soldato
Ordered Huawei P8 so guess I'll find out soon enough how well they are catching up. Honestly though I don't care how thin a phone is, I'd rather they add a few mm and we get at least over 3000mah battery.

Man of Honour
For a good number of phones you can buy a custom back panel and a larger capacity battery - though some bulge a bit more than is ideal and/or look a bit odd. Also finding larger capacity batteries that are actually good is a bit hit and miss unless someone like Anker does one.

Soldato
So I'm sat here, reading the gizchina article about the upcoming Chinese phones, now obviously they have a few cons like returns, no global support, having to import them and so on.

but one thing that strikes me big time is the fact that they(the small Chinese makers) seem to understand that battery life is VERY important.

now have a read of this -; http://www.gizchina.com/2015/06/03/7-big-battery-android-smartphones-for-mid-2015/

and IMO I'm actually questioning Samsung, LG etc, why are we not seeing this tech/innovation when it comes to global players in the mobile industry? - think Samsung, LG, Apple etc. All have joke-worthy battery capacities, what's stopping them from going big, say 5000mAh and so on? are they doing this for some hidden reason?

Tell me OCUK, what am I missing here? and what is your opinion on this. And Chinese phones in general.

The Western market wants slim phones = slim phones = less than a full day's use for heavy users.

Heavy smartphone users buy Mophie Juice packs and put up with their phones being the size of 1st generation 3G Motorolas.

Soldato
Well i for one have never had a problem with battery life on any of my phones so would rather see more powerful phones/bigger screens/better sound than a bigger battery. I am a moderate user i would say, watch a few vids on my phone, i stream music through it most of my working day, and then i go home and sit at my computer and really only use the phone to text/odd call in evening. At night i plug the phone in at the bedside, rinse and repeat the next day.

Not sure how people actually use their phone enough to drain the battery in a single day, i even have full brightness on mine (nexus 6). People either use it an awful lot, tho mine is streaming all day so short of you looking at your phone all day aka screen being on i really dont see an issue. Just plug the phone in at night?

Soldato
I dont understand the push for more power at the cost of battery life. Most people in day to day use dont even half of the power in the phones. They dont play the heavy taxing games much because you cant because they drain the battery to much or they overheat, or they dont even want to. The general day to day use most people put there phones to doesnt warrant the increased power and the reduction in battery life.

I'm betting most people would prefer better battery over more power.

Soldato
I dont understand the push for more power at the cost of battery life. Most people in day to day use dont even half of the power in the phones. They dont play the heavy taxing games much because you cant because they drain the battery to much or they overheat, or they dont even want to. The general day to day use most people put there phones to doesnt warrant the increased power and the reduction in battery life.

I'm betting most people would prefer better battery over more power.

I agree with you that more battery is likely more 'useful' as you say, i personally dont really play games on my phone. But if i am paying flagship prices for a phone i expect flagship specs, so i want more power/better screen etc.

If people just want a bigger battery i am sure they can buy some older phone for a lot less money that has great battery life.

Soldato
I agree with you that more battery is likely more 'useful' as you say, i personally dont really play games on my phone. But if i am paying flagship prices for a phone i expect flagship specs, so i want more power/better screen etc.

If people just want a bigger battery i am sure they can buy some older phone for a lot less money that has great battery life.

Yeah power is more easily advertised and coveted, its the same with all tech.

But if someone came out with specs equal to there competition but with double there battery life then surely they would blow them away.

Man of Honour
Well i for one have never had a problem with battery life on any of my phones so would rather see more powerful phones/bigger screens/better sound than a bigger battery. I am a moderate user i would say, watch a few vids on my phone, i stream music through it most of my working day, and then i go home and sit at my computer and really only use the phone to text/odd call in evening. At night i plug the phone in at the bedside, rinse and repeat the next day.

Not sure how people actually use their phone enough to drain the battery in a single day, i even have full brightness on mine (nexus 6). People either use it an awful lot, tho mine is streaming all day so short of you looking at your phone all day aka screen being on i really dont see an issue. Just plug the phone in at night?

You must be one of the few that haven't had the annoyance of poor battery life. I can make my battery last all day, but I do have to nurse it some times. If I go to an event and take pictures and so on and upload them, my battery can go within a few hours.

I personally would rather have more battery than excessive power. If your OS is well written you shouldn't need mega processing to make the phone run well.

Back
Top Bottom