How old are you and how often do you see your parents?

Soldato
50. See my mother every few months. Its a 450 mile round trip so not so easy, spent 8 hours in bank holiday traffic last time, urgh. She phones me every week.

Father lives in spain and only see him once a year or so, we're not close so surprises there. His wife doesn't like visitors so not exactly easy my sister visited recently and had to stay in a hotel but her health is very poor and is basically housebound.

My mothers partner sees his daughter her husband and kid for half an hour every xmas day or boxing day and thats it. He's just about the most easy to get along with person you could imagine, she just doesn't seem to want him around. They live 2 streets away. :rolleyes:

Soldato
35 and I visit the 'rents every saturday at an absolute minimum. I only live 6 miles away though.

I speak to the old fella almost every day by phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
42, and I normally see them twice a week. We eat dinner together one evening every week when I get fed in return for doing odd jobs and things around the house. Then I normally see them again at the weekend and either end up taking their dog for a walk / run or doing a bigger job for them. They're only 20 minutes away so it is nice and easy.

Associate
33 and I see my mum 4-5 times a week, she looks after my little boy 2 times days a week and most lunchtimes I go to her house for my lunch as it's just round the corner. Can't imagine not seeing her for months!

I see my dad once every few years since he moved to france.

Man of Honour
I see my mum and dad once a week. They're divorced so have to go to separate houses! I enjoy it once I'm there but can't be bothered a lot of the time as downtime is a rare thing.

Don
Bugger, received news this weekend that my in-laws are moving away. I have two young sons, and they are going from a 20min drive to almost 3 hours :( I guess the frequency we see them is going to decline!

Soldato
OP
Yes, as it means any visits to see them now become a full weekend affair, rather than a short hour / 30 mins visit. :(
See, now this is kinda my issue and this is why I started the thread. My mum lives about 60 miles away but it's a crap train service. This means for one of us to get to the other it's a 2hr trip each way. Therefore to do that it turns into 'Oh well you could stay' or something, and bang our weekend is gone. The last time we went all the way to hers we turned up Friday night, had a ncie dinner with her, had time in the morning, went to a friends BBQ Saturday, then went out for a long pub lunch with her and my sister before heading home. As we're getting on the train I get all the 'Oh it goes so quickly, you should try to come for longer next time'. It's like 'err, and do what exactly?'. I don't mind spending time with my mum and my sister but we haven't exactly got much in common.

As I said in the OP, she knew it was my summer Friday off so she was asking about that. I've told her I'm going for my laser eye surgery appointment (not the surgery itself!) and that's going to take all afternoon so it won't really work. I've also told her that we're going to see the Formula E at Battersea on Saturday and meeting friends. Rather than taking a hint, she's now asking about Sunday. Now, bear in mind that it's been exactly 4 weeks since we last saw her, it's not like it's been months and months. I'm not saying I don't want to see her so quickly again, it's just that it doesn't really fit in with our plans but she just won't let it go. Also bear in mind that we've been given notice on a flat so she knows we need to start sorting all our **** out and packing etc. A few spare days here and there would be very much filled with all that!

As I said, she lives 60 miles away but we have a few times met halfway, where we can just meet at a restaurant/pub and go for a nice lunch. It's an easy one-train journey for both of us, no hassle. I'd do that every 4 weeks to catch up but that doesn't seem to cut it. She'll always say 'Oh you'll have to come visit me and stay' or something. It's somehow not good enough and that's what stresses me out.

I'm debating saying she can come all the way to ours for lunch and see how she likes the Sunday train service, but the problem is that will turn into a whole-day affair. She'll turn up an hour earlier than planned (she's done that before!), still be here by dinner time and that will be our whole free Sunday gone and nothing achieved re. the flat etc.

Argh.. anyway. Rant over :p

Back
Top Bottom