970A-UD3P & 8320E, 4 DIMM boot issues

Associate
Hi,

After a bit of internet searching i thought maybe OCUK could help.

Effectivelly built my new system etc, on initial startup (originally 2x8 GB sticks) had numerous problems getting it to finish OS install without randomly rebooting. Like shockingly bad Ive never experienced before.
(Keep in mind EVERYTHING was stock).

Anyway, updated the BIOS seemed to finish installation and everything has been OK since. Tried overclocking, didnt seem to go well. Sometimes overclocked was more stable and sometimes stock was...

Anyway back to stock settings and try 4x 8gb sticks right? Well, half way through boot before hanging the first time (repeat about 3 or 4 times). Figure maybe I should reset the CMOS or something?
I then reset the CMOS and it hasnt even attempted boot (past bios splash and i guess POST) since... once or twice It almost did it, then proceeded to randomly colour in white pixels on the screen every X seconds before stopping.

All 4 slots are fine with any combination of 2x 8gb modules in at one point.

Lost at what to do at this point.

970A-UD3P
8320E
4x Crucial Ballstrix DDR3 (VLP) 1600 cas 9 (1.35 but seems to stock 1.5).
Corsair CX400w (the original one which was cheap and not awful)

Not sure if I need to raise/lower voltage etc etc.. (CPU Temp isn't a problem and I dont think VRMs are but im unsure on that front).

Any input on how to get it working with 4x 8gb modules is appreciated.

Thanks,
Flakey

Associate
OP
For anyone elses reference in the future, it seems like Piledriver doesn't like 4 slots populated above 1333 (kept defaulting to 1600), more voltage solved the issue for both the RAM and the core voltage.
Reference: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx#NOTE

Had to keep rebooting until I got into the BIOS eventually and change the voltages before it froze...

Not sure if I should be annoyed at myself, or the awful BIOS or just AMD in general. Either way not a nice user experience.

Back
Top Bottom