Time for an upgrade!

Associate
It's been a while since I posted but I would like some advice on an upgrade please :)

My current specs:

i7 920 (stock)
Crap motherboard (doesn't allow overclocking)
2x 1gb DDR3 and 2x 2gb DDR3 (Who needs triple channel? :confused: )
GTX480 (One hot mothertrucker)

2x 1tb HDD's
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb (9 months old)
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case (New)
EVGA GS 650W (New)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
OEM DVD writer
144Hz Iiyama 24" monitor and a secondary Samsung 60Hz monitor

The processor and graphics card are well over 4 years old now and the GTX480 is becoming even hotter than usual and is super noisy (even after cleaning thoroughly). I think it is time for an upgrade :D

I've been out of the loop for a while with hardware so I would like some recommendations and a way to keep the cost down (I'm now a Uni student).

Cheers

Associate
I would recommend a 2-step upgrade process. Because 16nm GPUs aren't ready yet. They come in 6 months time.

1) a) Upgrade CPU + mobo + ram

1)b) CLEAN your GTX 480 graphics card thoroughly. Check fans, re-apply thermal paste, etc.

wait 6 months

2) Buy 16nm GPU

For the CPU+mobo+RAM it would be cheapest to get some Haswell based system. A 2nd hand CPU. And keep the existing 2x2GB sticks but buy some more to replace the 1GB ones. That way you will save a bit of money.

A new Skylake would need new DDR4 ram too, so you are talking about £400 for all that. Which is probably something like £150 more than upgrading to Haswell. Of course the Skylake would be a bit nicer in certain respects. But it wouldn't make any noticable difference for the actualy CPU performance & when gaming.

And leave the lions share of your budget for a new GPU during next year.

Associate
OP
Cheers mate

The second hand CPU sounds like a great idea, I'll have a look in the members market. I think my RAM is 1066MHz so I might as well replace it. I cleaned my GTX480 throughly 2 weeks back but I have not replaced the thermal paste in a couple of years so I guess I will do that for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom