UK to start charging for plastic bags

Soldato
That's because they have to

Nope, passing it on to environmental projects and good causes is just a recommendation, the is no actual requirement not to pocket the money, just a voluntary code of best practices (plus the threat of media/public backlash if you do pocket it lol).

I love this bit:

There are no exemptions for biodegradable bags at present. However, the government is considering an exemption to encourage development of a new, genuinely biodegradable, more environmentally friendly bag. This would be introduced as an amendment at a later date.

Have they considered paper? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5p charge for the bag also oddly forms contract between me and the vendor. What's more there has to be warranty period provided for this product. If my 5p bag doesn't last long enough to carry my goods all the way home, I can go and demand replacement, because the product I purchased with my 5p wasn't fit for purpose.

I was wondering this as well...

So say I order an online shop, with bags

Am I then entitled to return the bags under CCR for a full refund? ;)

Man of Honour
Man I really don't understand all the fuss over this charge. Lets say you do a shop once a week, and use three bags. Also say you use some other shops in that week, lets say three more shops using a bag each time.

That's only £1.20 a month spent on bags.

Why is there so much furore?

Associate
Man I really don't understand all the fuss over this charge. Lets say you do a shop once a week, and use three bags. Also say you use some other shops in that week, lets say three more shops using a bag each time.

I can only imagine what it was like when they brought the smoking ban in :D

Soldato
OP

teh fuss is the quaity of teh bags. If u dont own a car either and have to take public transport after your weekly shopping, good luck making it back home without all your stuff dropping on the floor due to very terrible bags.

For me, i have to double up on some bags or even just put less items on one as they are very easy to rip.

Associate
I got a bunch of stuff at the corner shop today and they charge for the bag, I though small independent shops with less than 250 employees are exempt from the charge.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair we've had this for a while in Scotland and its really not that big a deal, almost everyone I know takes reusable bags shopping. On the odd occasion I forget I'll pay 5p.

As people have already mentioned the 'Bags for life' style of bag are much easier to pack and hold way more. You can get an entire shopping trolley load into 4-5 of them.

Soldato

I'm not overly annoyed about it (NB: I live in Wales so have been living with it since 2011) it's just that it's £16-18 a year that I have to pay due to being disabled, and it gets paid by my disability living allowance which seems pretty stupid to me, surely it would be better to simply waive the tax for disabled customers who require bags...

Back
Top Bottom