• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading From 2 GTX 680 4GB FTW

Associate
Hello,

So I'm considering looking at a new GPU as well at other Shiny Parts.

I Currently have an Asus PB278Q. I am in the mind set of buying a Asus PG279Q to go along side my current monitor.

I know that upgrading my GPUs are the next step as I currently have 2 GTX 680 4GB FTW models.

I was looking at the GTX 980TI's. Now would 1 greatly out perform my current GPUs or would I need 2 to notice a significant difference?

Or do you suggest waiting until the next round of GPUs arrive ?

Cheers

Caporegime
One 980Ti would smash past your SLI 680s. Pascal is well on its way now and with everything going to plan, it could well be released in April, so 6 months wait.

If it was me with a pair of 680s and knowing what is what, I would still buy a 980Ti (just the one).

Associate
OP
If the new GPU's could be released come April then wouldn't it be wise for me to wait?

I mean how much better do you think the new GPU's will be?

Associate
It's rumoured to be 50-80% better I believe, however nobody's quite sure on when the "big" Pascal cards will come out, cause I'd imagine NVidia will release the lower end ones first... But who knows.

Your 980Ti will still hold a significant second hand value 6-12 months time either way, up to you if you don't mind selling and buying better in 6-12 months time.

Soldato
I'd hazard a guess the 1070 or what it will be called will be as fast as the GTX 980. Same as when the GTX 970 was released it was on the GTX 780 / 780 Ti level.

Associate
Get a 980ti now.
Why wait? I can understand if it was coming next month, but we're talking 6 to 8 months, and the value of your 680s will plummet even more.

The waiting game doesn't really work when technology is concerned. Buying and selling "often" is more fun and even cost effective.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I moved from sli 780 to a single 980ti. No sli niggles, less heat and power use, much quieter. Max fps is down a bit but clocking the Ti helps there. Something I couldn't do for regular use on the 780's as they ran too hot at stock let alone oc'd.

Soldato
Get a 980ti now.
Why wait? I can understand if it was coming next month, but we're talking 6 to 8 months, and the value of your 680s will plummet even more.

The waiting game doesn't really work when technology is concerned. Buying and selling "often" is more fun and even cost effective.

When Pascal comes out Volta will be in the works so there is no point waiting I agree. I don't agree though with buying and selling. You'll lose out when upgrading usually unless you can sell off for the original price paid. The same cycle continues...

Last edited:
Soldato
When Pascal comes out Volta will be in the works so there is no point waiting I agree. I don't agree though with buying and selling. You'll lose out when upgrading usually unless you can sell off for the original price paid. The same cycle continues...
True. But the biggest tempting thing about Pascal is that we can finally get off the 28nm boat...along with some HBM memory goodness :p

Associate

Of course, but you don't spend much and the "investment" is diluted over the year.

Going from 780 to 970 SLI and now 980Ti I didn't spend more than 350£ over two years (and is going to last until Pascal).

Associate
Pascal is scheduled for 2016, whilst Volta is scheduled for 2018, 6 months is a lot different to 18-24. - If you have a capable rig now I wouldn't particularly buy a 980Ti, but who knows, Pascal could not be as good as NVidia say.

You can't go wrong with a 980Ti now though, it's the best high-end, cost-effective single card.

Associate
It's rumoured to be 50-80% better I believe, however nobody's quite sure on when the "big" Pascal cards will come out, cause I'd imagine NVidia will release the lower end ones first... But who knows.

FWIW we know what the specs and cost are of a 980ti now. Precise specs and price of new cards can and do change. If Nvidia do have a tech that is 50% better than a 980ti they'll certainly charge a premium for it I'd have thought!

If I were the OP I'd deal with what we know now, rather than what we hope a new card can do.

Soldato
Yeah just wait. Then when Pascal comes out wait for Volta. Then when the next tech comes out wait for that too.....

At some stage you have to just butter up, bend over and succumb. You know for a fact that it's a total waste of money and the technology machine will continue to trundle along but hey, that's life right?

As stated, one 980ti will absolutely smash your 680s to pieces. Less heat, less noise, higher FPS.

Associate
OP
Get a 980ti now.

I'm not the type of person to buy, sell buy sell.

Its a complete waste of money. Not bothered about the 680s resale value as I don't really have any desire to sell them on.

I am in the same boat as you Kuuwahi. ;)

Yeah Its a hard one.

People saying if you wait for this, then you will wait for the next one and so forth.

That is one of the stupidest comments, If this was the case then wouldn't I be communicating to you via my first PC from the year 2000.

I am Just wondering if I should wait about 6 months as I don't plan on upgrading until Jan anyway.

Soldato
I think really the decision lies with the OP and his gaming habits. If he feels he is not achieving acceptable frame rates in the games he plays at the graphics quality settings he prefers then he should upgrade now. If he's currently happy then just wait until you feel the need to.

Back
Top Bottom