windows 10 being forced?

Associate
what's your thoughts on this?

now I was running 10 on my last build but after building my current machine I haven't clicked to accept the upgrade from 7 yet it keeps trying to upgrade me.. (brand new motherboard so this one hasn't been on 10!! )

Ive had the same issue with my old laptop which runs 7 and I dont want to upgrade that either as I use it for diagnostics and I know my software runs fine on 7 so it would cause me to much time lost to find out it doesnt work on 10..

so call me part of the tin foil hat parade if you want but ive went out my way to block the upgrade.. but this wouldn't be easy for your basic user..
no wonder they say they have windows 10 on 75 million devices!!! that because there forcing it down you're throat

why are they forcing us onto 10 when they say will still support 7 until 2020?

Associate
They're hardly forcing it. It's not as if you've got to opt-out of the upgrade.

OK, the nagging is a bit of a pain but I think that's over the top.

Associate
Really? I've not seen that on any of my machines... if that is intentional that would drive me crazy, but I feel like I would have heard more about it if it was :/

Soldato
It is ticked as default under optional in windows update. If your windows update is set to automatically download and install updates, im sure after a reboot installing updates it may try to install it.

Change windows update to not install automatically.

Associate
OP
It is ticked as default under optional in windows update. If your windows update is set to automatically download and install updates, im sure after a reboot installing updates it may try to install it.

Change windows update to not install automatically.
this is more or less what's happened
as I say it never asked me to accept anything.

Ive always had my updates set to automatic but ive always went in and had to click on optional updates but yet they have this one ticked as default!!
even when you untick it and hide it the next time you scan for updates it comes back and again is ticked!!

to me this is forcing it upon us!!

don't get me wrong I've used W10 on my last build and yea I can see why some folk would like it.
I just prefer W7 but then I ran xp up until they stopped support for it..

Associate
They're pushing the upgrade to every compatible computer regardless of if you reserved an upgrade or not, but there is a possibility that if you don't want to upgrade at all you can remove the upgrade completely by going into the get windows 10 app and doing a reservation which should make the upgrade to windows 10 home/pro appear in the optional updates list in windows update which you can then uncheck and hide to hopefully never bother you again at which point you can purge the upgrade data using the disc clean-up utility and remove most of the original updates that causes this just in case (removing one will get rid of the icon in the system tray).

Again, I will say it is possible that this will stop the upgrade but I can't be 100% certain that it will be successful.

Associate
OP
They're pushing the upgrade to every compatible computer regardless of if you reserved an upgrade or not,

yea thats what I was thinking.. and even like my wifes laptop was as buggy as hell on W10 there still trying to force it on to W10!!

Ive nothing against W10 I just personally would rather hang off and stay with W7 for a while.

as I say ive tried it on my AMD machine but when I was moving house and I was using my laptop on W7 for a few weeks I realised how much I preferred W7 over W10 so when I built my i5 machine I went for W7 on it and would like to stay that way for the time being.

Associate
I just did an update check on my rig, and in the optional updates section, the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" was AUTOMATICALLY selected! 2845.9MB download.

Seriously not happy about that, if I wanted to upgrade to windows 10 I'd bloody buy it!

Hoping that de-selecting and hiding it will prevent it trying to install again?

EDIT:

Hid the update, re-checked for updates and it came up again. Retried a dozen times and it's still coming up. Absolutely infuriated!!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just did an update check on my rig, and in the optional updates section, the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" was AUTOMATICALLY selected! 2845.9MB download.

Seriously not happy about that, if I wanted to upgrade to windows 10 I'd bloody buy it!

Hoping that de-selecting and hiding it will prevent it trying to install again?
nope it keeps coming back...

ive found a solution though

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Back
Top Bottom