Alex Salmond: A second Scottish referendum is inevitible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Because they are stopping the younger generations from getting what a majority of them want.

I am sure it isn't malicious on their part but the end result is the same. It is understandable as older people are more easily mislead and taken advantage of. They also don't have the full range of information available to them unlike younger generations. They tend to form all of their views from what the BBC and the Daily Record tells them. Kudos to the 27% of them that saw through the fear mongering and voted to give the young a better chance in life.

Nah. I would just prefer it if they weren't lied to about their pensions!

Really? As it looks a lot more like you'd rather dismiss their views as not being aligned with your own, and deem them incapable of agreeing with you.

Associate
Really? As it looks a lot more like you'd rather dismiss their views as not being aligned with your own, and deem them incapable of agreeing with you.

No I was arguing that they generally don't get the full range of facts that younger people do, due to them forming most of their opinions based on what they read in the papers and watch on the TV.

This will of course change as more and more older people become internet savvy.

It is a lot easier now. There are far fewer, but they're still all the same. Nationalist I can understand, bigoted I cannot accept.

Why, in your view, am I a bigot?

Soldato
Because they are stopping the younger generations from getting what a majority of them want.

I am sure it isn't malicious on their part but the end result is the same. It is understandable as older people are more easily mislead and taken advantage of. They also don't have the full range of information available to them unlike younger generations. They tend to form all of their views from what the BBC and the Daily Record tells them.

They're stopping you from getting what you want.

You don't really grow out of wanting self determination for your country. Plus none of the younger generations will have pensions (not like today's older generations anyway) to be threatened with losing.

I couldn't give a **** if you think I should be ashamed. I am not. Older people are easier to mislead and take advantage of. That is a fact.

Apparently they're only misled in one direction.

I think that is correct. 16 - 17 year olds are masters of the internet. They get a broad range of information from both sides of the argument and overwhelmingly chose YES unlike the older generation who passively absorb whatever the BBC and unionist press tell them.

Of course there are a few of the older generation who are active internet users. I am willing to bet that most of the older generation internet users voted YES.

And because they don't agree with you their view is invalid.

I don't want to exclude them. I am just pointing out one of the reasons most of them vote the way they do.

And when enough of them disagree with you then it is an inconvenience that should be ignored for the 'greater good of others'.

The UK (including Scotland) has some news for you. The older generations are not going away - they're increasing. http://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-perspectives-the-changing-population/

Your continued view that their views are less relevant because, you claim, they won't know as much as other voters, is as discriminating as it is bigoted.

Associate
They're stopping you from getting what you want.

Apparently they're only misled in one direction.

And because they don't agree with you their view is invalid.

And when enough of them disagree with you then it is an inconvenience that should be ignored for the 'greater good of others'.

The UK (including Scotland) has some news for you. The older generations are not going away - they're increasing. http://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-perspectives-the-changing-population/

Your continued view that their views are less relevant because, you claim, they won't know as much as other voters, is as discriminating as it is bigoted.

I stand by everything I have written.

The older generations aren't going away no. But they will start becoming more informed as more and more of them understand how to get info from the net.

They were misled in one direction yes. Talking about older folk who don't have internet access, unless they read the Sunday Herald (The National wasn't around pre referendum) then they were exposed only to unionist news sources. That is just the way it was. It is a fact. Stating that doesn't make me a bigot.

It's a bit like if the OCUK forums were the only source of news in the world. Everyone would think the YES campaign was a fringe movement versus the reality of them commanding 45% of the vote.

Last edited:
Soldato
I stand by everything I have written.

The older generations aren't going away no. But they will start becoming more informed as more and more of them understand how to get info from the net.

You dismiss the value of people who are still relevant but you claim don't have the access to the same information others do. They're still relevant, unless you want to take the view of "there there dear, you don't understand what's best for you but don't worry because I do"

They were misled in one direction yes. Talking about older folk who don't have internet access, unless they read the Sunday Herald (The National wasn't around pre referendum) then they were exposed only to unionist news sources.

Damning indictment of the failure of the SNP's independence campaign there then.

That is just the way it was. It is a fact. Stating that doesn't make me a bigot.

No, it doesn't. But your reaction to how to deal with your 'problem' does. Wait for them to die.

It's a bit like if the OCUK forums were the only source of news in the world. Everyone would think the YES campaign was a fringe movement versus the reality of them commanding 45% of the vote.

On these forums your behaviour is doing an excellent job of created that very scenario. No engagement, all polarisation, alienation and antagonism. If Scotland wins independence in that manner she'll be isolated, have few friends and an angry native population, divided over both nationalism and demographics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom