• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia and AMD graphics comparison.

bru

bru

Soldato
Not sure what is going on there, but one thing of course to mention is that they are separate runs, so even if he has stepped a foot further to one side the game will be rendered differently.

I am not saying there is nothing going on but as we have seen before with other image quality screenshots and videos, it nearly impossible to get two of the exact same images to compare.

We would need much more research into image quality differences before we cry foul or anything.

Soldato
Not sure what is going on there, but one thing of course to mention is that they are separate runs, so even if he has stepped a foot further to one side the game will be rendered differently.

I am not saying there is nothing going on but as we have seen before with other image quality screenshots and videos, it nearly impossible to get two of the exact same images to compare.

We would need much more research into image quality differences before we cry foul or anything.

In still shots yes but the right looked blurry from the onset, then i wondered which card it was then i noticed the cards marked near the bottom but then i thought maybe its something else that the OP was on about seeing as the OP didn't mention specifics, so i watch the whole thing through and time and time again the right side looks slightly blurry, then i read the comments and others notice the same.

Soldato
Yeah the IQ looks better throughout the whole video on the left side imho. I tried to dismiss it in my head by "it's youtube compression" but DOY... both sides have the same compression applied, so.. :/
It's usually the case in these comparison vids though that AMD side looks better, I think it was Greg that did Batman and a few others comparing Ti and Fury X and I thought the Fury side was consistently better looking - but then I'm slightly biased so my opinion is invalid :)

Associate
It wasn't long ago that something similar happened which turned out to be a configuration issue, so I'll not seriously consider anything that hasn't been reproduced by others.

Also interesting is the difference in VRAM usage, with the Fury X reporting a whole GB less at times.

Caporegime
Yeah didn't Gregster do a thread when he had the FX, as everyone was saying the FX was much better quality than his TX, but he found the prob and sorted it, so both ended up the same. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are very different lighting conditions, you only have to pause it at 3:25 to see that. Fury X is filmed at a much brighter time of day which is why there are more highlights.

edit: if you pause it at 3:14 the rock on the right hand side is much brighter on the 980Ti shot which is a complete reversal, so the sun/source of light is probably in a different position in the videos.

Moral of the story... it's hard to do 1:1 comparisons with dynamic lighting.

Last edited:
Associate
Lighting conditions are odd too, but the shadows are in the same location imo, the source just seems to be less intense maybe? It's odd that this keeps cropping up with frostbite games. Did Greg discover why it did it on his? Was it a setting or did he reinstall the drivers and it fixed it?

Soldato
this has been done before, having used both in games like bf i found iq on amd slightly better on bright outdoor areas and nvidia seemed to have the edge in darker indoor areas but nothing in it to realy get to worked up about as it was just nit picking

Man of Honour
Noticed some anomalies in the beta but didn't get time to dig into it - on my system with the same settings some of the valley bits on hoth opposite the base had far lower resolution shadows with the same settings as someone with a 980ti and on a 290X they looked totally different again.

Soldato
OP
this has been done before, having used both in games like bf i found iq on amd slightly better on bright outdoor areas and nvidia seemed to have the edge in darker indoor areas but nothing in it to realy get to worked up about as it was just nit picking

It doesn't look like there's nothing in it to me. I'm looking at that and it's night and day.

Caporegime
It doesn't look like there's nothing in it to me. I'm looking at that and it's night and day.

Almost literally. :p

To do a fair comparison you're going to need static lighting or turn lighting off completely, assuming it's not possible to set the same time of day. Fury X definitely looks more contrasty (less dull) in that last scene but then there is more light hitting everything and highlighting them.

If you pause the video at 2:16 and 3:15 you'll see that the 980Ti side looks brighter and less washed out, different lighting conditions are being used throughout so it's a bit misguided to focus on a single scene and claim one GPU has better IQ than the other.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hmmm looks to me like the 980ti side has been compressed and then compressed again when editing the video - possibly rookie error when combining the two into one video.

Back
Top Bottom