Pick one of your parent's cars

Soldato
If you could pick just one car that your parents owned in the past, to drive now, which would it be and why? Could be something ultra cool, hilariously bad, or maybe something you remember fondly from your childhood. Can be before you were born, of course.

My dad had a few cars when I was growing up. 2 Capris, 3 Audi's, a Jag, and even a Mini panel van for work. I remember his first Audi (1972 100 LS) was daffodil yellow with a bright red interior :D I have great memories of the Mini van...rolling around in the back with all his tools as he flew around. But, right up until he passed away, he always talked fondly of his late 60's Ford Corsair.

http://aclassiclotaday.blogspot.com/2015/09/1969-ford-corsair-1700-brightwells.html

I believe it was that color above as well. He always seemed to have great affection for it. I didn't even really think to look one up until recently, but now I would love to own one. That interior! The wing mirrors! The simplicity! Gimme :)

Away you go then...

Soldato
Given that my mum has only driven tiny engined rot boxes i only have my dads cars to chose from and he has only had 6 cars in my 33 years alive & he still has 3 of those now, my choice is limited.

I'd say the Capri 2.8i, the problem there is i've already got one with a 24v cosworth engine in it & the other 2 cars were a 2.0 volvo 940 that had the performance of a glacier and the other was a MK1 3.0 Granada Coupe, it'd have to be that as i have not seen one in probably 10 years.

Permabanned
Could I restore it first? Datsun 240z. My mum had it before I was born. My older brother remembers it. My mum hated it. She bought it used and it was a bit of a shed at that point and over her ownership the floor rotted away. Salt on the roads just destroyed it. When I was born it was scraped and a Nissan Bluebird acquired. I still remember the Bluebird was sick yellow, with old people tan cloth interior and bright red seat belts.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
One of my dad's 1980s Saab 900 Turbos or his E21 320i which he had before I was born. Must've been epic back in the late 70s!
Wouldn't mind his current 535i GT either ;)

Soldato
It would either have to be a Jetta GTI H plate jobby in white with a lovely rubber boot spoiler.

Or a Ford Siera Ghia.

about as exciting as it gets from them.

Soldato
First car I remember him having was a white, Montego then 2 ugly, Citroen saloons for Caravan towing then an, Audi something. At this point I had an interest in cars so I can properly name his next 2 vehicles. After the, Audi he had a, Mazda Bongo. Then he got lung cancer and got a, Ford Focus on motability.

As boring a choice it is given as there are roughly 200 million of them on UK roads I'd have the, Focus. I learned to drive in a, Focus. When shopping for his motability car he wanted me with him because I was going on the insurance, and for lessons I still probably don't realize he was teaching me. After all the dealerships we went to and passed on we ended at, Ford and took a, Focus. It was easily the best car on offer with the added bonus for him that the first car I was insured on was the same I learned to drive in. Also it's the only car of his I definitely know wasn't a piece of crap :p

Caporegime
My Mum has never owned a car, and my Dad's cars were all pretty crap and dull.

Mk1 Fiesta 1.1
Mk2 Fiesta 1.3
Mk2 Astra 1.6
Mk3 Astra Estate 1.6
Mk3 Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCI
C5 Audi A6 Avant 1.9TDI (115PS)

No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom