Backup solution

Associate
Hey all, I have a networked drive X which I want backed up every day but to different folders. I want the contents of drive X to be copied to another network drive Y, but copied into five folders; mon, tues, wed, thurs and fri. I want on Monday all the files to be backed up from drive X to the mon folder on drive Y, comparing all the files already in the mon folder and copying any files that have changed from drive X. Then similarly for the other working days of the week. I basically want 5 days worth of backups on drive Y of drive X.
What would be the best program to use for this please? Either backups are setup to be done automatically each evening or have be started manually at the end of the day so that drive Y can be taken offsite after backup has completed.
What are the best options for me to do either one of these backups methods please?

Thanks all.

Don
Is it out of the question to have a full backup for each day?

I can write you a script that would create..

Folder called

Y:\2015-11-12

(Created on the day).

When it finds a folder over 7 days old, it will delete that folder.

So you would end up with 7 days worth of full backups.

Associate
I know we used to use a program called Syncback at work to do daily backups. Should be able to do the job for you. Not sure if there is a free version or not? worth a look?

Man of Honour
I use syncbackSE to do a similar thing. Been using this for years but more recently to mirror data once a day to a share on a NAS. I have a weekly rotation but the frequency can be changed as you like.

There's plenty of other no doubt but this is one I trust implicitly

Associate
OP
Is it out of the question to have a full backup for each day?

I can write you a script that would create..

Folder called

Y:\2015-11-12

(Created on the day).

When it finds a folder over 7 days old, it will delete that folder.

So you would end up with 7 days worth of full backups.

The full backup option is if i leave the backup to run overnight. However, if the nas will be removed at the end of the day to be taken offsite.. a full backup will take far too long, hence a sync option would be faster (i think)

Thanks i will check the suggested options out. Would cobian backup work/be able to do the task i want?

Thanks again guys :)

Man of Honour
Mirror is your answer.. Once it perform a full backup, it only back-up what's changed or deleted since the last.. I know that most backup software provides this option. Again this is what i do>

Mirror source to destination. i set up four backups, one for Each Monday pointing to a separate folder on the destination on drive.. :)

Soldato
I'll float another solution... The free version of Crashplan.

Crashplan is primarily used for cloud backup (which is paid for) but you can do local backups for free. Set the X drive as the backup folder and the Y drive as the location for the backup to be saved to. You wouldn't have to mess around with daily backups, just set it to backup every 5 mins (or hour, or day, etc) and it does it's thing in the background. If something goes awry you can restore the backup from any moment in time, not just the last 5 days.

Associate
Another vote for crashplan. It can do what you want with timed backups or manual, or as mentioned above just run continuously.
If you want offsite backups then use the paid version and use their cloud storage. You could set that up with separate backups for mon to fri if you wanted, just be aware the initial backup to cloud can be slow for large datasets.

Back
Top Bottom